Chapter 61: Shadows in the Mansion

Nikol's expression turned serious as he looked at Aari. "Look, you have to hide here until I give you the signal to leave the mansion," he instructed, his voice low and urgent. The thought of her getting caught will make her life more miserable and prone to more danger. He can't let that happen.

Before he could say another word, there was another knock on the door. "Nik, what's taking you so long, dude? We're not going on a mission," Eve called from the other side.

Nikol freaked out, cutting her off. "I'm changing!" he shouted back.

Eve's voice was teasing. "I'll count to four and come in whether you're dressed or not."

Panicking, Nikol quickly picked Aari up in his arms and carried her to the cupboard. He made her sit inside and brought a finger to her lips. "Shh," he whispered urgently.

Just as he closed the cupboard door, Eve barged in. "Nik, seriously, what's taking so long?" she asked, looking around.

Nikol forced a casual smile, still only in his towel. "Just getting dressed, Eve. Can you give me a minute?"

Eve rolled her eyes. "You always take forever. Hurry up; everyone's waiting."

As she turned to leave, Nikol subtly pressed the cupboard door closed, hoping Aari would remain silent. He quickly threw on a pair of jeans and a black shirt, moving with deliberate speed. Once dressed, he grabbed his watch and strapping on with practiced ease.

"Alright, I'm ready," he announced, trying to keep his tone light.

Eve glanced at him, raising an eyebrow. "Finally. Come on, everyone's downstairs."

Nikol followed her out of the room, glancing back at the cupboard. He hoped Aari would stay hidden and quiet until he could get her out safely. His mind raced with plans to keep her protected while managing the situation downstairs.

Once they were out of the room, he spoke to Eve, trying to keep things normal. "So, what's the plan for tonight?"

Eve shrugged. "Just hanging out, catching up. Stella's been asking about you."

Nikol sighed inwardly, knowing he had to keep up appearances while dealing with the chaos in his mind. He couldn't afford any slip-ups, especially with Aari hiding just a few feet away.

Nikol followed Eve downstairs, trying to keep his mind focused. He knew that having Aari hidden upstairs was a ticking time bomb. As they entered the living room, the atmosphere was already charged with anticipation.

Stella, his ex, looked up the moment he walked in, her eyes lighting up. "Nik, there you are!" she exclaimed, standing up to greet him. Her long, blond hair fell in perfect waves around her shoulders, and her smile was as captivating as ever. She wore a fitted, midnight blue dress that accentuated her slender figure, adding to her allure.

Nikol forced a polite smile, aware of the tension between them. "Hey, Stella," he replied, keeping his tone neutral. "It's been a while."

Rowan, another of his close friends, gave him a nod. "Good to see you, man."

Eve, ever the playful one, grinned. "Finally, the boss is here. Now we can get the party started." She was draped over Rowan, their public displays of affection a constant source of amusement for the team.

Rowan chuckled. "Yeah, Nik, we've been waiting for you. Remember that mission in Prague? The one where you almost got caught by that crazy guard?"

Nikol smirked. "I remember saving your ass, Rowan. If I recall correctly, you were the one who almost got caught."

The group burst into laughter, the camaraderie easing some of Nikol's tension. He needed to keep things light, to ensure Aari had enough time to slip away unnoticed.