147: ᴡɪᴅᴏᴡᴇʀ

●~●~●~●~●

Rachel woke up at some point. 

When Sami and the others arrived, she was laying on the ground beside Daryl, who was unconscious. She'd helped Judith barricade the doors from walkers. 

Sami, Rosita, and Eugene went for the children, while Carol and a few others stayed at the hospital, and Maggie, Negan and another group went after Pamela. 

But Rachel hadn't woken back up. So, Daryl gave her his blood. 

Sami, meanwhile, fought his way through the walkers with Rosita and Eugene and reached the children's home. Walkers had already hit it. 

He froze in the doorway. Blood covered almost everything. Bodies were hardly mush. Almost nothing remained of them. 

But then he heard crying. 

He and Rosita made their way down a hallway, ignoring the walkers in their way until they reached a room with babies, screaming crying in upturned cribs.

A walker grabbed Sami's arm as he entered, and Rosita turned.

"No,no, ¡Mira si ella está allí!" He stabbed the walker in the head as Rosita turned back to the babies. 

Another walker growled at him, and he kicked it in the chest, before stepping on it's head and stabbing the last one.

"Rosi? Ros-" He turned to her to see her holding Coco to her chest, both of them crying, Jerry's children wailing on the ground, but Eugene came in, picking them up and calming them as Sami hugged Rosita and Coco, kissing their heads. 

They were alive. After everything, here they were. Somehow. 

"We got Mercer." Ezekiel's voice came through the walkie on Sami's hip. "Any news on the kids?"

"They're here. they're alive." Sami almost cried just at saying it out loud. "We have them."

"Oh, thank God. We'll see you at the hospital."

●~●~●~●~●

Rachel's eyes felt too heavy. Everything hurt too much. 

The small whimper from her was what Daryl heard, before her eyes opened fully, much wider than usual, her face emotionless. 

"Hey, hey, you're okay. Don't worry. You're fine." He pushed her red hair from her face.

"Am I dead?" She asked.

"No, you're not dead. You're fine, Rach, you're fine."

He said it in a way that she believed him, though she didn't feel like she was fine. She felt horrible. Everything hurt. Everything was hard to hold onto. She felt hollow. 

"I don't . . . I want Pooh. He's in my bag. I know you said . . . not to bring him around, but . . . he reminds me. And I don't . . . want him alone."

He grabbed her bag from the ground, and was surprised to see the old bear in there. He looked much more worn than when he first saw him with her at the quarry. He had told her a few years ago that people stop bringing teddy-bears everywhere after they turn a certain age, and hadn't seen him since. But Rachel felt the bear was the only constant in her life. The only one who had been there from the start. The only thing that could stop her from freaking out over the fabric of her socks when Danny wasn't there. 

"H-" He stopped, seeing Rachel's eyes were closed. "Rachel. Rach, come on. wake up."

Carol appeared at the door, as banging outside the room got louder. "Walkers breached. We gotta go."

"I can't, I can't go."

"Carol, do you copy?" Rosita's voice questioned through the walkie.

"Rachel? Rachel, wake up."

"Rosita?" Carol raised it to her mouth. "Where are you?"

"we're in the alley behind - behind the hospital. We went through a hoard of walkers. Our ride is fucked." 

Sami was cringing at the loud noise of the wailing babies in the ambulance they were currently hiding in, walkers banging on the doors. 

"Okay, what if Eugene takes this guy, I fight, get you a path, we can get into a building. Climb a fire escape or the top of a car, inside is shit."

Rosita nodded. "We'll use guns, keep them away from us."

"Gives us more ammo, too." Sami took the baby carrier off himself, giving the baby and carrier to Eugene, who attached it to his front. Sami looked at the pair of them. "We're gonna be fine."

"Go, before you jinx us." Rosita said.

"Find us a way out, I'll get us there."

Sami climbed out, first, kicking the walkers out of the way and pulling out his knives, and stabbing two walkers in the head, before kicking another, stepping on it, and slicing two heads off, the crying still continuing from the babies. 

"We need a way out!" Eugene yelled.

Sami stabbed two walkers at once, slicing a head off another, as Eugene shot two of them, but then Rosita got slammed against the truck by a walker. Sami ran over, stabbing it in the head and quickly checking she and Coco were okay, but a walker grabbed his arm and got it cut off, before Sami stabbed it in the head and continued fighting.

"Eugene, up the pipe, go!" Rosita yelled. 

"You first!" 

"Damn it, Eugene, just go! I'm right behind you!"

Eugene did as she said, as Sami continued fighting, a pile of walker bodies slowly forming around them. Rosita followed Eugene, and then Sami climbed up after her. 

But, halfway up, she struggled to get her grip. 

"Use my head or something!" Sami yelled up at her, as he kicked a walker in the head. 

"No, I've go-"

Her foot slipped, and she fell, hitting Sami and almost making him loose his grip, before she fell into the walkers, and they fell onto her. 

"Rosita!" Sami let go of the pipe as Eugene yelled at them, landing amoung the walkers. 

He stabbed two, sliced the head off another, and then saw Rosita climb up onto the ambulance. 

"Sami! Sami, get up here!" She yelled, stabbing a walker that climbed up after her. 

He did as she said, killing three walkers on his way, and climbed up onto the ambulance, ignoring the blood and guts that got on his hand. "Where now?"

She glanced at him, then at the pipe. "Jump for it. You go first, then catch me."

"No, you-"

"Sami!" 

He took a breath. It felt wrong. But, he did it anyway. He jumped over the walkers, just managing to grab the pipe, and climbed up as fast as he could, Eugene helping him through the window, before he stuck his hand out and Rosita jumped to catch it, before he and Eugene pulled her and Coco up through the window.

Sami looked her over instantly, then Coco. "You okay?"

She nodded, panting. "Yeah. Yeah."

🐳🐳🐳🐳🐳

Thank yall for 20K!!! Almost done. There's 150 chapters (This is 147) and an epilogue. So, yeah, almost finished. Sorry for what's gonna happen. There will be spin off books