Chapter 1 - The Journey

The wind rattles and grates across the cold metal, across the freeway as Maeve slowly drives through her past closed door, yet now reopening to start to heal and make new of things in her life.
It was supposed to be a lovely summer, too bad it decided to chuck down with rain. She rode her black Suzuki through the twisted lanes, raindrops deflecting off of the bonnet of her car.

The radio starts to skip and fast forward parts of Girls Aloud "Sound of the Underground", Maeve curses out loud as she continues to drive in the dark. Maeve didn't know how to react when Rodger had first made her a seat on the board of directors, as she'd heard from her bird her own sister Marjorie had been fighting for a position on there for the years she'd worked there. But Maeve thought that if she were to relocate closer to her own sister, maybe she could reach out for help. There had been so many years of untold experiences that neither sister had even opened up about, Maeve didn't ever know Marjorie hadn't mentioned her to her work colleagues, especially Autumn. After all Maeve knew that Marjorie wouldn't outgrow spontaneous conversations.

Maeve's thoughts played back to when Charlotte had come over to her old house to discuss this move, Maeve truly found out that Marjorie made HER childhood seem like heaven and kept her own sister a secret. Playing back to Charlotte telling her that Marjorie never mentioned her...at all. Maeve was snapped from her thoughts when her hand went numb on the wheel, she'd gripped the wheel so tight in anger her knuckles turned white. With the laggy radio and the hammering rain, Maeve had finally made it to her destination - taking the little piece of paper on the passenger seat, her hand shaking from stress, and looking at the address on the side:
44 Starlight Crescent - red tulips in black flower pots outside.

Maeve sat in the car for a while, apprehensive would be an understatement for what she felt right now. She could hear her own breathing above the engine of her car, zoning in and out of her surroundings clearly scared. Maeve's palms had gotten so sweaty from her sudden shock of panic, she hadn't realised she'd crushed the paper and smeared the written address.
Maeve had been so worried that maybe her coming back was a mistake and Marjorie and all the other staff would treat her as a foreign visitor. She always wondered if what her mother meant when she was younger that she was "Always going to be trouble" then was it worth it trying to escape and repair things with her sister and have help from her and her own friends. Maeve had been in her own thoughts, when she jumped at the sudden knock of her car window.

Maeve's POV:
I jumped at the sudden knock of my car window, I didn't even have time to comprehend who was knocking and why I was here until I jumped again from another knock on the glass.
"Maeve are you going to come in or are you going to sit out in your car like a creep?", Charlotte laughed slightly at my reaction to her knocks. Me and Charlotte have been best friends for a long time, so when I told her what Rodger had offered me again, she happily agreed to help me find a place and settle me in. I was hesitant to tell her the whole truth yet, I didn't want to loose my friend to something stupid that's happened to me. Charlotte looked at me through the glass, the lamppost illuminated her long hair and curvy figure. She continued, "Earth to Maeve? You're as bad as Carly when you zone out. Cmon now."

"Alright bossy boots since when have you gotten so brave?", I reply and turn off my car and take my keys out, grabbing my bag from the passenger side and getting out of the car. From the corner of my eye I see Charlotte scanning me up and down, it's been a while since we've seen each other in person. She pulls her usual 'what's up with you?' Look and I sigh maintaining eye contact with her, "Not much Char, but too much..." I close my car door and go around to my boot of the car, to take my bags out but I feel Charlotte's hands stop me.
"I'll do that.., let's take these in and we can chat. You don't look like yourself Maeve", Charlotte persists she'll take my bags in. Does she think I'm not capable of doing it myself? I think to myself.

She grabs my bags and I managed to let her give one to me, at least I don't feel entirely useless.
The warmth of Charlotte's home hits me in the face, not in an overwhelming way but the soft scents of Vanilla vary and comfort me. I put my one bag down, and she puts the rest down. Following her to the kitchen, I sit at her island as she pulls two wine glasses from her cupboard.

"So, tell me what's happened Maeve?...", she says and she softly looks at me, reassuring me that it's okay to talk about it.

A/n - I don't know about you but I actually felt quite surprised by how much I wrote. I will apologise for how much description there is, it'll die down slowly as I go on, but I just needed something to build the mood.
Feel free to give me any tips or suggestions!
- Jaime :)