Chapter 35 - Misfortune

"I failed our daughter...I killed her.." she mumbled, "no you didn't baby...you're the best mummy ever~" Charlotte tries to comfort her.

The three of them sat in the room waiting for the nurse and doctors to come back, Maeve's eyes were still fixed to the cot in the corner of the room. They all broke. Nothing would fix the loss that they were having .... They wouldn't get to grow and make memories with Mabel.

Delivery rooms were supposed to be somewhere where you could finally give life to their little Mabel but fate struck them and Mabel wouldn't be able to bring proper life into this world, "baby? Maeve? They're going to give you some morphine to help with the pain okay?.." Charlotte rubbed her shoulder and looked to Mia, "Do you want us to get you anything?.." Mia half smiles trying to give any hope of lightening the mood. Her eyes snapped from the cot in the corner back to Mia and Charlotte, "I-I just don't want to be alone..." Maeve whispers meekly. Then the door opens and two doctors come in following each other, looking down at Maeve.

"Miss Montgomery?.." the doctors called out, "...Maeve.. just call me Maeve...." Her gaze lowers to her stomach holding her stomach. Mia and Charlotte stood next to her filling supporting her. "Maeve... there's two options we can give you. You can progress naturally or we can induce you, progressing your labour." The doctor looks to the other and back to Maeve looking for an answer from her, "Will the pain stop I-if I get induced?" She looks up to Mia and Charlotte not wanting to look at the doctors at all, which the doctors nod silently, "It'll ease the pain and it will all go faster alright?... but you'll still have pain.." Charlotte eases rubbing Maeve's back. "Induction?" Which they all nod and they rush out the room to get the room to get the other nurses and midwives for additional help and assistance.

The delivery room filled with pained whines and beeping of monitors as the labour progressed, before they knew it Maeve was 10cm dilated and was in immense pain, "Can't you give her something stronger to stop the pain?" Mia looks to the nurse who frowns, "Unfortunately not I'm afraid, it's too late to give her anymore".

She was only 6 months pregnant and even Charlotte and Mia were growing with concern the more pain she was in and it would only be long for her to tolerate all of it, "I-I can't do it..." Maeve sighs scrunching her eyes and shaking her head, "You can sweetheart we're here.." Mia coddles and runs a hand through her hair, tucking strands behind her ear, as Charlotte grabs ahold of her hand rubbing over it. "Ready now push.... Hold it for five.." the nurse coaxes out and Maeve's face curls as she sobs in pain, "one.., two... three..." Mia holds her hand and Charlotte counting with her, Maeve grimaces in pain, "I-I can't it hurts! It hurts!.." a scream ripped out of her throat and Maeve starts to cry uncontrollably, tightly squeezing Mia and charlottes hands. "Shh...it's okay.." Mia kisses.

Tears streamed down her face and Mia and Charlotte continued to soothe her as she pushes, "Just one more push maeve...then you'll meet your little girl" the nurse wipes away the blood and their little Mabel was born.

There was silence unlike in other rooms where many would fill with cries, the nurse quickly took Mabel to the little station and started cleaning her up. They were stitching her up as Mia was praising her and Charlotte wiped her forehead, "Well done baby...you did it.." Charlotte soothes rubbing her side. "Would you like to hold the baby?" The nurse brings Mabel over and places her on Maeve's chest, Mia and Charlotte sit on the bed with her and they look at Mabel together, "she looks so much like you..,look at her hair too..so soft.." Mia delicately runs a finger across Mabel's cheek, there's a slight warmth to her skin but no reaction as she sleeps peacefully being settled in heaven. Maeve sadly half smiles looking at Mabel, "she looks so.....peaceful.." she sniffles taking her small hand into hers. A few photos were taken with them and she looks at her and softly presses a kiss into her cheek.