Chapter 33

"Hi Hi."

"Liam," she mumbled into her pillow as she groggily woke up. "I'm up." She sat up and yawned. "I'll go make you some breakfast."

She watched him for a minute as he tried to decide what he wanted to wear before she walked over to her closet. Grabbing her skirt that fell mid thigh a few inches above her knees, she slipped it on then pulled on her bra, a spaghetti strap tank and her fuzzy sweater that fell below her shoulders and covered the top of her hands. Slipping on her thigh high socks, she pulled on her Doc Martens then pulled half her hair back so it was half up and half down. Fastening a black bow over the hair tie, she looked in the full length mirror and smiled. She was actually feeling pretty good today. Her skirt was black, her thigh high socks were gray and sheer, her Doc Martens were black with red roses on them, and her sweater was white as was the tank underneath it. She decided to only use eye liner today and some chapstick then ruffled Liam's hair before leaving the room.

Relief filled her when she saw the common room was empty as was the kitchen. Turning on the music player, she kept the volume down low as she pulled out the griddle and got started on making Liam some pancakes and scrambled eggs.

"What singing, Sissy?" Liam asked as he walked into the kitchen.

She turned to him and smiled softly, "it's Mine by Taylor Swift." She flipped a pancake and smiled brightly when Liam started clapping.

"Again! Dat cool!"

She giggled, "I will when it's done cooking. Now turn it up and I'll sing to you but with some changes to the lyrics so it fits us better."

She turned back to the griddle and cleared her throat as Liam turned up the music player. With her being focused on the food, she didn't see the group of men entering the common room and sitting in the spot where she and Lisa were talking after the lake incident. They were out of view so even if she looked around to check on Liam, they wouldn't be seen unless she stepped out of the kitchen.

"Do you remember, we were sittin' there by the water?

You put your arm around me for the first time

You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter

You are the best thing that's ever been mine

Flash forward, and we're takin' on the world together

And there's a drawer of my things at your place

You learn my secrets and you figure out why I'm guarded

I say we'll never make our parents' mistakes

But I got bills to pay

We got nothin' figured out

When it was hard to take

Yes, yes

This is what I thought about

Do you remember, we were sittin' there by the water?

You put your arm around me, for the first time

You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter

You are the best thing that's ever been mine

Do you remember all the city lights on the water?

You saw me start to believe for the first time

You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter

You are the best thing that's ever been mine

Oh, oh, oh

And I remember that call, 5:30 AM

As everything was slipping right out of our hands

I ran out, crying, and you followed me out into the yard

I braced myself for the goodbye

'Cause that's all I've ever known

Then you took me by surprise

I said, "I'll never leave you alone"

Liam wrapped his arms around her and she sniffled as she blinked back tears. She hummed the next part before she cleared her throat.

"you are the best thing that's ever been mine

Do you believe it?

We're gonna make it now

And I can see it

I can see it now"

"Me love it," Liam clapped as she flipped the pancake and put it on a plate. "I love you Hi Hi."

She put the plate in front of him, then wrapped her arms around him from behind. "I love you more, Liam." She kissed the top of his head. "Now, eat your breakfast."

"You too, Hi Hi," he said as he tapped his fork on the plate.

"Food is healthy

Even the sweets

Your body needs food

So try to eat."

She nodded then grabbed a small plate. "You're right, okay I'll try some eggs."

"I get you hot saucey," he beamed as he got down and ran to the fridge. "Here you red hot saucey with funny lid. Why wood?"

"I'm not really sure why Cholula has a wood lid," she shook her head as he got back in his seat as she poured some over the little eggs she put on her plate. "Any ideas on what to do today?"

He thought about it them sat his fork down gently, causing her to watch him curiously. "Hi Hi?"

"Yeah?"

"Sanna no come?"

Her breath caught for a moment, "Santa?" She asked as her voice broke. Shit, she didn't even think about Christmas as it dawned on her that it was just four days away now. "I think Santa will still come, Lee Lee."

"He come here?" he asked nervously. "I no want go home."

"Yeah, I don't want to go there either," she admitted as she tried to figure out the right answer to say. "If I remember correctly, Santa uses his magic and will come wherever you are. If we are here or we go to Lisa's home, remember she did say we could go there if we wanted. I wouldn't worry about it, Lee Lee, Santa just knows these things. He is magic afterall."

"Hi Hi?" he asked and she waited. "What other Sanna?"

She frowned in confusion. "What do you mean, Lee Lee?"

"Mama say she show me pecial Sanna I big boy now," he tried to explain. "You know pecial Sanna she know?"

She cleared her throat as she sat her cup down, "I'm not for sure, Liam, since your Mama and I didn't talk that much but I think she was going to teach you about the Russian Santa and your Russian heritage. Your Mama came from Russia and I know it was very important to her that you know about where she came from and where part of you comes from. I don't know anything about it, sorry, but you can teach me what she taught you and then we can learn together. Why don't you tell me what she has taught you?"

"Me no know," he giggled as he shook his head. "Me know da and nyet. That all."

Heidi chuckled, "that's all I know too. How about this?" she said as she stood. Her plate was still on the table and there were half her eggs still on it. "Why don't I go see if Lisa is here and if she is she can join us and if she's not it will just be me and you and we can go see about finding a tree and some ornaments for either here or Lisa's home?" He nodded. "Okay, I'll go find out. You think about all the ornaments you want for the tree."

She walked out of the kitchen, right past the men still hiding, and heading toward the hallway to the girls rooms.

There were multiple soft groans as they saw her outfit followed by whispers, "Fuck."