Chapter 29

The doctor left once he determined the pug and puppies were safe to be moved and Heidi cleaned the table once more while humming to herself a song that they didn't recognize.

"You were amazing, Heidi," Gabe spoke gently as she began properly taking care of the tools that were used. "Hell, I never would have thought of putting my mouth over a newborn puppy's face. All that stuff and blood..."

"It's just basic CPR," she mumbled as she pulled her book and notebook back out. "Had to get oxygen into them somehow and it was the fastest way."

"Fuck that! You are not going to keep brushing people's fucking compliments. When given a damn compliment just say thank you! You were a fucking miracle worker and those puppies wouldn't live to see another God damn day without your quick fucking thinking!" Gabe exclaimed as he stormed to stand in front of her and closed her book she tried opening.

"I'm sorry," she burst into tears before rushing to the bathroom, slamming the door behind her.

Gabe's mouth dropped open as he didn't understand what the hell just happened. He looked at the door then toward Axel and Kota as they both shook their heads strutting over to him. "What the fuck just happened?"

"Her emotions are all over the place," Kota mumbled as Max stood and began drinking the water in his kennel.

"No fucking shit," Gabe glared. "But why?"

"As I tried to say earlier, her eyes were changing from concentrated to unfocused then determined," Axel explained, "And then the way she was fidgeting and then all relaxed suddenly and her slower movements..." he trailed off softly. "And now all the mixed emotions, from conversations with Sean, I would highly suspect she took something before she had to rush here with Max."

"Should we call Sean? Actually, should we be having her taking care of Max?" Kota asked as he stared at the bathroom door. "It's not that I'm not grateful but if she's under the influence of a drug then she shouldn't be taking all this on."

"No," Axel shook his head. "Based on what I have seen, whatever it was didn't take affect until she was able to relax. She was fully concentrated on Max. And even with the puppies, she was able to focus and even know what the doctor needed before he said anything a few times. She was able to concentrate and do her job efficiently. Whatever she did or took did not affect the ability to do her job. If anything it was able to break through her walls and get her to relax. Now, as for her breakdown, I would say that has more to do with her lack of self esteem due to her parents and how everyone else, including us, has treated her. No more snapping at her Gabe, I understand your frustration, I truly do, but you have got to get yourself under control."

Letting out a depressive and frustrated sigh, Gabe looked down towards the floor as he said softly, "Alright. You're fucking right. I'll try to do better and not fucking snapping."

"First we need to get her out of the bathroom and to calm down. I don't know if she will be honest of what she took if we ask but we need to find out. When was the last time she ate? Most medications require having something to eat with it," Kota said gently as he kept eyeing the bathroom door.

Just then, the door opened and Heidi came out without looking at them. "Okay, thank you Doctor, I will," she replied as she walked past the three men. "Yes Sir, okay, goodbye." She slipped her phone into the now black scrubs with paw prints and various dogs all over it. They watched as she walked over to the kennel and opened it, "Alrighty Max, Doctor Winslow said you are doing so great that you can go home, how does that sound?" She kissed his nose as she slipped a lead over his neck. He walked out and she turned to face them. "Doc said he will be fine so you can go now. He may just want soft food and water for the next couple of days since his throat is raw from the throwing up. He will also be sleepy for most of tomorrow, that's normal as well. Just lots of rest and he'll be back to himself in no time." She walked over to the door and unlocked it.

"What about you?" Axel asked curiously. "Since Max is all better, then you can come back with us. We can wait while you gather your things."