Chapter Forty- The Date (1)

40. The Date (1)
.
.
.

><><><

"It is so sad that our vacation is coming to an end. In seven days, Millie, we will be back in America and back to our normal lives," Giulia gushed as each word left her mouth. "I don't have to see a certain fellow again," she muttered the rest of the words and threw a smile in my direction.

Giovanni spared me a glance; it was almost as though there was a bit of sadness in his eyes, but I might as well be imagining it, I might just be projecting what I was feeling at the very moment.

I vividly remember how I prayed for the trip to end soon, how I almost cried to tag along with Giulia when she had to travel back for school business. I have no idea what I felt now; I would not deny it anymore, I really do feel something special for Giovanni, and maybe, just maybe, I want to stay a bit, even though I might not be able to spend a realistic time with him, but somehow I was feeling contented with just seeing his face.

Giovanni now has a hold on me.

How would this date even work with Giulia finding out? I said yes, but it seems as though a date between Giovanni and I was a complete impossible feat.

Giovanni shifted his gaze effortlessly at his sister.
"Matteo informed me that you both have reached an understanding; there's no need to sound like you detest him, little sister," he said with a straight face, unbothered by her joyful behavior of our trip ending.

She shrieked immediately, "Matteo told you that!" Her voice raised in a high-pitched note, she exhaled, "He is closer to you than you are to me," a deep frown immediately settled on her face, then she faced me and muttered, "I was going to tell you yesterday, but you were asleep, I'll fill you in later."

"And whose fault is that?" Giovanni asked her.

Giulia immediately rolled her eyes. "You know it works both ways; that's how a relationship works," she said.

But was Giovanni actually right? Giulia has somehow settled with Matteo, then why was she overjoyed that she would not be seeing him again?

"Well, I have chosen not to act like we're at war," she explained.

"You almost got yourself killed driving like a maniac, acting like a teenage girl," Giovanni scolded.

"I know how to drive brother. I was perfectly fine, ask Millie," she said as she turned her attention to me.

Giovanni sighed.

"That reminds me, how did you get home last night? I got home after you."

I almost choked on air, but I held myself back. "I–I," I stuttered, as I scrambled my head for an excuse. Would it be strange if I said that Giovanni came to pick me up and drove me back to the house?

"I brought her back," Giovanni responded, and again, I almost choked.

"Really? You came to the racing ground?" Giulia asked; there was no hint of suspicion in her voice, but she was definitely amused.

"Yeah. I came to make sure you both were okay. Sebastian was the one to inform me that you had gone with Matteo, so I brought her home," The words came out of Giovanni's mouth so effortlessly, one would think it was dipped in honey.

"Thank you, brother. Millie's mother would have had my head if anything were to happen to her daughter."

"Sure," Giovanni nodded, and I nodded as well.

I should relax more, but I can't; I keep feeling like, at any moment, Giulia would catch on to what was happening between Giovanni and me.

The date was definitely a no-no; the trip was coming to an end, and I should just let the days pass and then I would be back to my true reality when I land on the soil of America.

What of your heart? My mind questioned; these feelings would pass, wouldn't they? I wondered.

Regardless, I will find a way to tell Giovanni to call off the date thing.

"Good morning, Mr. Marino," a familiar voice greeted, snapping me out of my train of thoughts.

"Good morning, Matteo," Giovanni responded, adding a curt nod.

Matteo walked up to Giulia and took a seat beside her. "Hey, Emily, good morning," he smiled.

"Good morning," I smiled back.

"Good morning, beautiful," His complete attention was now on Giulia, and Giulia was smiling from ear to ear; anything further than that, I am afraid that her mouth might tear.

So much for not having to see a certain fellow again. Strange girl.

"Hey you! What are you doing here?" she voiced brightly.

I guess the Marino siblings were complicated fellows.

I spared Giovanni a glance and was startled to see that his eyes were fixated on me. My breath hitched, I dropped my head down, avoiding his gaze. I admit it, I was definitely feeling shy.

"I am here to take you out on a date," Matteo replied.

"A date? Today? Why?" Giulia asked, but I could hear the excitement in her voice.

"Just get up and get ready, Lia, I have the entire day planned,"

"Really?" Giulia gushed like a lovesick puppy. Then she immediately got up from the chair, about to leave the room, but she stopped on her tracks abruptly. "What about Millie?"

"I'm fine," I immediately responded. I can't believe she was concerned for my well-being now when the man she obviously has feelings for just asked her on a date.

"But—" she started, but I cut her off.

"I'm fine, besides I need more sleep after last night," I said.

"You sure?" She asked, a pout settling on her face.

"Yeah, it's not like you followed me to the date I had with Stefano," I pointed out.

Just like that, there was a sound of cutlery on the floor. It was Giovanni's spoon. My eyes reached his, and he had a stern look on his face.

Was he angry that I mentioned Stefano's name? He can't be serious right now.

"Oh yeah. Stefano said I should say hi, he said he would call you later in the day, he has been busy. We spoke this morning," Matteo said.

"Oh!" I muttered.

"What a thoughtful man," Giulia gushed. "Well, I will go and get ready now," she added, and she excused herself from the dining room.

"I will be in the living room then," Matteo said, and he excused himself, leaving just Giovanni and me.

"Are you okay?" I asked him; he still looked rigid.

"I am fine," he said straightforwardly, with not a single emotion in his voice.

"This is about Stefano, right?" I asked. "You're being ridiculous; I only mentioned his name."

"I'm not angry that you did," he responded.

"So you admit that you are angry," I raised my eyebrows, amused.

"He took you on a date before I did," he gritted.

I almost chuckled, almost. "This is not a competition, Giovanni. Stefano is a good guy."

"You have feelings for him?" He asked; he now looked breathless. I never thought I would see this strong man look a bit frightened about anything.

"I never said that, Giovanni," I responded. It was the truth; I did not truly have feelings for Stefano, but it does not change the fact that Stefano likes me and he is indeed a good guy. I will have to deal with that soon; it is wrong to drag Stefano into my mess.

Giovanni exhaled deeply before saying, "I want to take you on the date today," he announced.

"Today?" I was in shock; I was planning to talk him out of it.

"Yes. You were worried about Giulia, but Giulia would not be around, but I still think that we should tell her."

"No!" I almost shouted. "Don't tell her. Okay, let's go on the date today," I added, Giulia would truly be out so it time was indeed the perfect time.