Chapter 118

The sterile smell of antiseptic filled the air as Bea and Jake sat in the waiting room of the pediatrician's office. Bea cradled Bela against her chest, the warmth of her tiny body brings comfort amidst the nerves.

Bela was just over a month old, but in that short time, she had already become the center of their universe. Every cry, every coo, every little movement felt monumental, and they'd spent countless hours marveling at her small fingers, her beautiful eyes, and the soft tufts of hair on her head. But now, as they sat in the waiting room, surrounded by posters of smiling children and health tips, Bea couldn't help but worry about whether everything was going the way it should.

Jake glanced over at Bea, her eyes focused on Bela's face as she slept peacefully in her arms. "You okay?" he asked softly, reaching over to place a reassuring hand on her knee.

Bea looked up, giving him a small, tired smile. "Yeah, I'm okay. Just— I don't know. Parang bigla kong ninerbyos."

"Why?"

"What if they tell us something is wrong with her? That maybe we should have done something differently. Or there's something wrong that we did and can't undo." She rambled on.

And Jake understood what she was feeling because it did cross his mind too. But Bea doesn't need to know that.

"Hey," Jake said as he grab her free hand and held it. "You're worried. I get that. But nothing's wrong with Bela. You have been taking good care of her. I know that, I saw that firsthand." Jake sincerely said. "This is just a routine checkup. Everything will be fine."

Bea nodded, acknowledging his effort to comfort her. He leaned closer to her to give her a kiss on the head.

"Thank you." she said to him quietly.

Then the nurse's voice broke through. "Vargas po? We're ready for Bettina Angela."

"Let's go, mahal." Jake said.

Bea stood carefully, adjusting Bela in her arms, and Jake followed her as they were led into one of the exam rooms. The room was small but brightly lit, with cheerful animal decals on the walls. A scale sat on one side of the room, and a cushioned exam table took up the center.

The nurse smiled warmly at them. "Alright, let's start with getting her weight. You can place her right here."

Bea carefully unwrapped Bela from his blanket, and they both marveled at how tiny she looked lying on the scale.

The nurse adjusted the numbers, writing down her weight before moving on to measure her length and head circumference. "She's growing well," she said with a smile. "Everything looks good so far po."

Bea let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding. Jake squeezed her hand, a silent acknowledgment of the relief they both felt.

A few minutes later, the door opened, and Dra. Pascual stepped in, her white coat flaring out behind her. She was a kind-looking woman in her early forties, with gentle eyes and a calming presence that immediately put both Bea and Jake at ease.

"Hello, Bea, Jake," Dra. Pascual greeted them with a warm smile before turning her attention to Bela. "And hello to you, little Bela."

She washed her hands at the sink, then approached the exam table where Bela lay, still sleeping peacefully. "How's she been doing at home?" she asked as she began her examination, gently checking Bela's reflexes, heart, and lungs.

Bea and Jake exchanged a glance before Bea answered. "She's been good, mostly. She has a lot of gas after feedings, though, and sometimes she cries for a while before she can settle down."