so high school

in this one, taylor and travis are 18

Taylor's POV

The school bell rang loudly, sending groups of kids back into the building. I walked with my best friend, Abigail. I'd known her since primary school and she'd never left my side, not even in my darkest moments.

"What's on your mind?" Abby asked me, staring at me. I jolted out of my daze, flushing bright red. "Nothing." I lied. The truth is it wasn't actually nothing. I had been thinking about one particular guy who had had my heart captured ever since I'd seen him. Travis Kelce. the guy who was always the extrovert, playing football on the field at lunch, goofing around with his best mates. who would've ever thought that the quiet, blonde music kid would end up with the loud, funny jock? my dreams were more than an arm's reach away for sure.

"I can tell you're thinking about someone." Abby teased. "Sure, it's not that football dude you're always fantasizing about? You've got a boyfriend Tay." She gestured over at Travis walking towards the building. It was true. I did have a boyfriend. I should be happy with Matty, but ever since Travis moved here, two years ago, in year 10, me and Matty had grown further and further apart. "Abby!" I whisper-shouted. "What?" She whispered back. "It's not like he's looking at you." The moment she said that he stared towards us. I shoved Abby, attempting a small smile before ducking my head, blushing ferociously. "He smiled back!" Abby cheered quietly. "Shut up." I pulled my curly locks of hair over my face, trying to hide the flush that was creeping up my face. "C'mon we're gonna be late to class." i pulled her along with me.

---------

I settled down in class, pulled my English folder from my bag and opened my journal while the teacher was marking the roll. English was one of my favourite subjects, mostly because of my flair for creative writing. I had begun to write songs when I was in year 9, releasing my first album in year 10. I had signed a record deal and all that shit, on the way to becoming that famous singer that I had always dreamed to be.

"Miss Swift?" my teacher called on me. I jolted out of my daze to see my English teacher, Miss Lennon, looking right at me. "Could you please answer my question?" I stared back at her blankly, trying to sort out my thoughts. I searched the board for an answer, but nothing stood out. Someone tapped my shoulder. I looked behind me, and Travis Kelce was leaning over, motioning for me to come closer. I leaned towards him, and he whispered in my ear, "the answer is how the past injustices influence the present." I tried to ignore the blush that was spreading slowly across my face and rattled out the answer to Miss Lennon. "very good Miss Swift, but maybe next time, pay attention in class." She chided me. I nodded, keeping my gaze down.

"Alright now, get to work." Miss Lennon said impatiently, waving her hand. The class was filled people writing, analysing their textbooks. I stared down into my journal and began to write down the lyrics that had been swimming in my head for the last 10 minutes.

You're on the phone with your girlfriend, she's upset
She's going off about something that you said
Cause she doesn't get your humour like I do
I'm in the room, it's a typical Tuesday night
I'm listening to the kind of music she doesn't like
And she'll never know your story like I do

But she wears short skirts, I wear T-shirts
She's Cheer Captain, and I'm on the bleachers
Dreaming about the day when you wake up and find
That what you're looking for has been here the whole time

If you could see that I'm the one who understands you
Been here all along, so why can't you see?
You belong with me, you belong with me.

I smiled, closing my journal and going on with my work. I'd finish that later.

-------

"Can I walk with you?" Travis appeared behind me as I walked out of the school grounds, reapplying lip gloss to my chapped lips. "Oh, um, ok." I replied, stumbling over my words. God. I internally punched myself. why did i have to be so socially awkward? "So, how's things going?" Travis asked me, as we set off on the way home. "Umm, pretty good. I'm starting on a new album, called fearless." I confided, gaining confidence by the minute. "that's nice" he studied me, his green eyes gazing into my blue ones. "Taylor..." Travis started his sentence, then stopped, thinking better of himself. I tilted my head, trying to read the expression on his face. A light blush was beginning to spread over his cheeks. What?

"Taylor...the real reason I wanted to walk with you is to tell you something. I've got a massive crush on you. Actually, I've had one for a few years, ever since Year 9, when you performed at the school talent show." He confided, looking at the ground. My thoughts were racing. Travis Kelce, the most popular guy in the school, had a crush on me? "Um Travis, you know I've got a boyfriend?" I whispered. "If we do this..." What would I tell Matty? "It doesn't matter Taylor. He doesn't have to know." Travis whispered, bringing his gaze into my eyes. I shook my head. "I can't Travis. I'm sorry." I walked away from him, not looking back.

I knocked on Abby's door, tears running down my face. "Hey! Oh, hi Tay-" she broke off mid-sentence taking in my smudged mascara and wet face. She pulled me inside, guiding me towards the couch. "Are you ok Tay?" She asked softly, holding my hand. I started to sob. "I messed up. I had one chance, and I lost it." I sniffed. Abby frowned, confused. "Wait, what? What chance?" She tilted her head. "Travis. He wanted to walk home with me, then he told me he had a crush on me, then I just walked away!" I blurted out, trying to hold back another wave of tears.

Abby soothed me, rubbing my back. "Why don't you go apologize?" She offered. "He's probably at the football field right now." I nodded slowly, starting to stand up. "Wait a minute." Abby stood up with me. "You probably might want to wash your face." I laughed, remembering the mascara running down my face. "Yeah, I probably look like a panda right now." I joked, making my way to her bathroom.

I arrived at the football field, and just like Abby said, Travis was there, kicking around a ball with his teammates. The moment he saw me, his face clouded with confusion, then sadness. He started to walk towards me, running his hand through his hair. I took a moment to collect myself before he reached me, frowning at me. "Why are you here Taylor?" He asked softly. "I wanted to say sorry. Will you walk with me?" I replied bravely. It had started to rain, a gentle breeze whipping through my curls. He nodded, starting to walk out of the football field.

"I'm really sorry Travis. I know I'm not the most social person, or the most popular girl in the school, but I really hope you'll forgive me." I took a deep breath, then blurted out what I had been wanting to tell him for years. "I've had a crush on you for so long as well. I just never had the confidence to tell you." His eyes widened, and he reached down, taking my hand. I could feel a warm blush creep over my face, and my palms felt sweaty. We had come to a stop, standing on the sidewalk. "Taylor, you have no idea how long I've wanted to do this for." He breathed. He leaned forwards, leaving the tiniest gap in between us. I hesitated, then I closed the gap.

The heavy rain poured down on us as our lips connected, soaking our clothes and bodies. His hand reached out to cup the back of my head. I breathed in the smell of Travis's clothes, and my eyes fluttered closed, savouring the moment. Finally, we broke away, gazing into each other's eyes. "I don't know if it's too early to say this, but I love you, Travis." I whispered. I had finally found love. He pulled me into a warm embrace. "I love you too, Taylor."