۱۷: نہ قابل قبول/ Disbelief

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What are you doing beta?"

Irtaza looked up from the pile of files to find his mother standing at the doorway of his room. He passed her a small smile before he replied to her question

"Just getting through some stuffs."

Saima smiled before she made her way inside. She sat down beside him at the floor. She picked up a random and opened to read it.

"You're going through your father's work."

It wasn't a question. Rather, it was a statement. Irtaza hummed.

"Why so sudden?"

Saima asked. Irtaza was always inspired by his father and that's why he chose to walk on the same path as him.

"Just for."

His reply was vague. Saima's brows furrowed in confusion before she asked. Her voice laced with worry

"Irtaza, beta. Is there something wrong?"

He looked up at her and saw the worry and concern evident over her face. That's what irk Irtaza. He doesn't like to make his mother sad. Ever. So, he abandoned the file on the floor before he held her shoulders gently.

"Annem. Stop worrying. Nothing is wrong."

But Saima knew her son used to hide things from her. For own benefit.

"Then, tell me. Why did you suddenly took an interest in Omer's previous cases?"

He had no choice but to tell her the truth now. He exhaled heavily before he narrated everything to her

"Do you remember the case when there was a girl who accused a businessman's son for assault and harassment?"

Saima tried to remember. It was long ago. She only remembered tits and bits of it. But she did remember that Omer was working on a case like that. So, she nodded her head.

"The thing is...before coming here. I also got a similar case. But my chief prosecutor transfered that case to someone else. Since, I have to come back here, I'd have to leave that case. But there's an uneasy feeling. That girl came to me when no-one was listening to her. And I don't like that I abandoned her like that."

When he finished, Saima looked at her son. Always the considerate Irtaza. Thinking about everyone before himself. She felt so proud that her son raised up to be a kind man. She stroke his hairs.

"Beta, you're very kind."

Her voice held appreciation for him. But Irtaza chuckled.

"I'm far from kind, annem. You haven't seen me in court."

He joked. Saima laughed off. And he loved that sound. But Saima felt guilt. She doesn't ask Irtaza if he wanted marry Miraal. What if he doesn't want to marry her? She knew her son very well. He would do anything to make her happy.

But she won't be selfish. She won't sacrifice her son's happiness.

"Beta, do you really want to marry Miraal?"

Saima had seen the way Irtaza behaved infront of Miraal in the past. He was more open and he smiles more. She always felt in her motherly instincts that he must've felt something for her.

But she can be wrong. And her son's happiness is very dear to her.

Irtaza's eyes furrowed in confusion.

"Yes. Why do you ask that?"

Saima sighed

"I just told you to marry her out of nowhere. I didn't even think that you might have someone else you'll want to marry. I just don't want to ruin your life, beta."