۲۰: بات پکی / Date Fixed

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Irtaza was standing in the backyard. After what happened, he needed a breather. The cool breeze of the month of August calm down this raging thoughts. He found solace in being alone. There's magic in it. He can think more rationally.

The last few hours hadn't fully registered in his mind. He just knew one thing that he couldn't let his family tarnish Miraal's honour anymore. He was well aware of their treatment towards her and Almirah. Yet, there was a silver of hope buried deep inside in his heart that maybe, they weren't heartless enough to accuse her of such a thing.

But alas! He was wrong. And he was proven it in the worst way possible.

He was still enjoying the peaceful sanctuary when he got aware of the soft pitter patter of someone's footsteps. He doesn't have to turn around to find who it was. When she was standing right beside him, he only gave her a small glance before turning back ahead. Gazing at the sky.

"Thank you."

The softness of her voice resonated into the serene environment. Irtaza only shook his head.

"You don't have to."

Still facing ahead, he murmured those words.

"I want to. I don't know how would I have handled the situation. My mind wasn't in the right place and I might had done something I'd regret. So, thank you so much."

This time Irtaza's eyes connected with her. Those brown eyes were blazing with life. They were still fierce. Yet, there was a tinge of softness. An innconence buried there.

"It's really nothing."

One thing about Irtaza is that he would never receive any form of gratitude.

After a few beats of peaceful silence, Miraal again asked

"How did you know I was meeting there with a client?"

She was curious. She hadn't told anybody. So how he got to know? Irtaza stared back at her before he answered

"The friend I was visiting work in the same firm as your one. He just work in the finance department. When he saw you there, he told me."

Miraal nodded her head. But still there was a tinge of doubt lurking in her mind.

"Would you have believed them...if you hadn't known about me meeting with a client there?"

She needed to know. She needed to know if he would have believed without seeing her there. Irtaza stared again. He heaved a sigh before replying back to her. Knowing full well the insecurities inside her

"I would have Miraal, truly. I trust you. I trust in the upbringing of mami and mamu. And I know you too. I know how you like. So, yes. I would've believed you even if I didn't know. Even if everyone told me the exact same thing. I would have."

There was sincerity in his voice. Miraal heart beats faster. She looked ahead. Her mind seemingly at relief now. She stared back at him. There was still one question she wanted to ask. She sighed before asking her one final question

"Are you sure about what you've said?"

He turned to her. She doesn't say what it was but he knew. For a while, he just kept staring at her. Her mind started to overdrive. What if he just said it in the spur of the moment. What if he just wanted to close the topic. So many what ifs and no satisfactory answer. It all depend now on him alone.

Finally, he chuckled.

"Of course. I'm very sure of it. Did you think I would've just said it in the spur of the moment?"