39

Once Upon A Time, there lived a sad Prince, who kept his past buried underneath tattoos. No one ever knew why he had them or what untold story lied beneath his tattoos. Although he tried to run away from his past, he couldn't hide who he used to be. If it wasn't for me I don't think he would have ever realize how much damage he was causing himself. Although, the girl who stumbled into his life was the opposite of what he needed. He found her flaws perfect, he found peace with her. Although, their life wasn't perfect at the beginning, she figured him out, and she to fell in love with The Tattooed Prince.

The story usually ends where they live happily ever after, ours ended another way.

The snow had been falling since the morning and a thin layer had started layering over the roads. I kept looking over at the digital clock in my car, muttering curse words to myself. I was running late to my destination. I promised I would be there in less than thirty-minutes but I've been stuck in traffic for almost an hour.

My phone began buzzing inside my cup holder, I didn't have to look down to know who it was. Pressing the green button on my screen, I placed the phone to my ear.

He didn't give me time to answer, he simply said, "Are you going to show up or are you leaving me hanging?" His low voice brought chills down my spine.

"I'm right down the street, I was stuck in traffic."

"Right." I could feel his tedious smirk radiating through the phone. I cut off the call as I turned into the parking lot. I take in a deep breath, before getting out of my car. The cold air burns my warm cheeks, causing them to flush.

Pulling the door to the small cafe, I walked in the quiet shop. A few people were scattered around, with a mug in their hand. A group of teenage kids were near the entrance, having a conversation about a ski trip they had planned for over a year. Across the room I see him, sitting there inside a booth. He had a mug in front of him. He was looking down at the black journal he normally carried around with him.

I felt my heart sink to my knees. How long had it been since the last time we seen each other? A few days, weeks, or has it been a year yet? I grabbed tightly onto my satchel and walked towards him. I slide inside the booth, waiting for him to look up from his journal.

"Hey." My voice shakes.

He continued to write down a few words before closing his journal. "Sorry, I had a meeting before I came here so I was writing down a few reminders." He responds, pushing the journal to the side.

I wasn't used to seeing him in regular clothes. He was wearing a navy blue hoodie, with a black beanie covering partial part of his hair. You could tell he hadn't cut his hair by the mess he was trying to contain under it. He looks up at me, flashing me a warm smile.

My heart stopped beating for a moment. I hadn't seen his smile in so long.

"Do you want something?"

"Ugh, yeah." He called over one of the waitress and ordered a hot tea with milk for me.

"So how are you doing?" He finally began asking the questions I was expecting him to ask.

"Good." I simply said, not wanting to him to notice the train wreck I was about to go in.

He nodded. "Are you happy here?"

More than you can imagine. "Yeah I guess, it's different than Spain that's for sure." I said nervously. I had to break the eye-contact we were having, he was making me feel as if any minute my heart was going to pop out of my chest.

He smiled with me, but I could tell the hurt look on his face. "Great."

The waitress comes over and places my tea in front of me. "Thank you." I smiled at her. "So...how are you doing? Why the sudden change of heart?" I took a sip of my hot tea, watching him as he rubs the back of his neck with his palm.

"I could be better, but I'm decent. You know me, I needed to see you. I miss you." He whispered the last sentence. I look down at his hands and notice he is wearing his wedding ring.

"Sebastian..."

"Do you regret it?" He blurted out.

"What?"

"Do you regret it? Do you regret waking up one day and walking out on me? I just need to know." He keeps his stare low avoiding to look at me.

I licked my dry lips, taking a moment to gather my thoughts. "Life can teach you a lot of things. How to be wiser, it can teach you how to grow as a person, but one thing life cannot teach you is how to live. And since day one Bash, no one showed me what was truly out there. You tried to bury me behind thick concrete walls with the hopes that your secrets would magically disappear. I couldn't do it anymore. The secrets, the lies, the agony, it became too much. Maybe life wanted back everything we ever fought for. I woke up one day and realized I wasn't scared to get lost. People need to get lost to be found, and I needed to be found. I deserved to be happy."

"I understand." No he doesn't. Sebastian hardly understands anything anymore. All he can process is the fact I left. I packed my things and left far away from him. In a city where no one would find it out I used to be Spain's Queen. A place where I was finally free.

"I'm lost without you. Everything doesn't make sense without you near me." Pictures said otherwise. He had no problem stopping our chapter and jumping into a whole new book. It didn't bother him, how he shoved me away leaving me there to rot away like the many times before. The only difference this time was, someone was actually there to pick me up, when he pushed me away.

I took hold of his hands, firmly grabbing them with mine, I forced him to look at me. "I will never be able to thank you enough for everything you did for me. I did love you, I loved you so much. But even the love I had for you wasn't enough to make me stay this time. I had to do what was right for me. You have a lot on your plate and you should deal with that first before we deal with each other."

"Please come home. I'll give up the throne to Spain but return back with me." He pleaded. So he decides now to give it all up. When I am far away from him he decides he needs me, but where exactly did he place me when things began falling apart for him again? He pushed me away like every other time. He ignored me and disvalued me. He suffocated me again with the hopes I would give up.

To his surprise, I did. I gave up anything and everything which made us, us. I pulled my hands away, sighing heavily.

"I'm always going to be here for you. But I refuse to be with you. I can't go back there."

He took in a deep breath nodding. "Okay."

I took out my wallet and place a twenty dollar on the table and got out of the booth. "I have to go. The roads are getting bad and I need to make it to my place before they do. It was nice seeing you again." He didn't dare to look at me in the face.

"Okay..." I whispered turning around and heading towards the exit.

"Adalyn-" I heard him call out for me.

I turned around to look at him. "I am sorry."

I know you are and so am I. "Bye Bash." I pushed open the door and walked back into the cold December air.

As I approached my car, I took out my phone and dialed the number one.

"Hello?" Hearing his voice caused me to break into sobs.

"Adalyn..." He whispered. "I told you it wasn't a good idea to see him, darling."

"I know-" I inhaled deeply, feeling the burning sensation in my lungs. "Are you home?"

"I've been home. Ever since you said you were going to go see him I came home to wait for you. Come home."

"Okay." I huffed out.