Moving On

The worst thing Cassie has had to do in her entire life was say goodbye to her family. Not her family, but her White House family. Her actual family hasn't been her family since she was five years old. Her mother died after her brother was born and their dad abandoned them when she was five and her brother was three. Her friends in the White House were all she had. 

But she hardly thought about her father and mother. They were a memory she barely had any recollection of. She called her brother Johnny before she left, but their conversation was vague. It always was. 

As Cassie was now sitting on the plane to England, sipping on her third glass of wine, she was looking over more of Carlton's file. There were pictures attached on the back, which she found very amusing to look at. 

He. Was. Sexy. He too sexy for his own good. That's probably why he was such a dick because he knew it. Well, that and the fact that he's the youngest man in history to have all that power in his hands. Not to mention, he went to the most prestigious schools Cassie has ever heard of. He's travelled all over the world, owns a small market chain, and has paid for his own education since he started college. 

She sadly read that his parents, Henry and Judith, died when he was fourteen in a car accident. Everything about him was in this single folder and she read it all. It wasn't an invasion of privacy, it was her job to know if there was anything that was going to pop up in the press later in time. Plus, she needed to know what she was going into. She did the same with the President. 

Her seven and a half hour flight came to an end at nearly three o'clock in the morning. She was jet lagged beyond belief. The driver that the Prime Minister's office hired had informed her that they needed her in an hour. She hadn't slept a wink on the plane, so this was already going to be a long day. 

She was able to get some sleep in the car, but not enough to where she could fully comprehend things. It took them a while to drive from Heathrow to Downing Street, almost an hour because of traffic, but between Cassie grabbing her luggage and getting out of the airport, they got there at almost five o'clock. 

She was so tired she couldn't even process how she was being led through the iconic house where she'll be working for the next month. But she did notice the couches were she would love to lay down and doze off for the next twelve to sixteen hours. 

She was lead into a fairly small office where a man around the age of fifty was sitting and writing at a desk. When her presence was announced, he immediately stood up with a big smile and went around the desk to greet her with a shocking hug and kiss on the cheek. 

"You must be Cassandra! I'm Jacob Ford, I'm the one who needs you here," he laughed. "I'm so glad you were able to come on such short notice. I realize your time at your State's capitol is valued very much, so we are honored to have you here." 

Cassie blinked her eyes quickly and took a deep breath. What did he just say? She asked herself. She almost dozed off, not because he was boring or anything, but because she was dead on her feet. She was fighting herself on what to say, so she just answered, "It's an honor to be here." 

That seemed to do it because she got another unexpected hug. "Alright! Well, come with me and I'll introduce you to the staff...well, what's left of them anyways. The Prime Minister is away at the moment, so he won't be here until later tonight, I'm afraid. In the meantime, we have arranged a townhouse for you just a few blocks from here. You won't have to pay any bills or rent, just for the food you buy."

Now Cassie heard that! Free stay in a townhouse?! Count her in! "We'll take the liberty of showing you around London...have you ever been here?" Clearing her throat as to not sound tired, she answered, "Yes, many times, though I've never really got to explore. The president had a lot of work here a couple years ago."