Stress Test

She's never known stress like this in her life. Everything was so overbearing, she didn't know what to do. Everybody came to her about every little thing that was either on the news, or a line in the President's speech, if the V.P. said anything he shouldn't have, even about the next possible presidential candidates. 

Basically, she was running the country because she had to save every problem that came her way. Even the President came to her for help, in which she had to tell him what to do, like how she did with Carlton all that time ago. 

She's had this job for almost three months. It was fine at first, but things kept piling up and piling up. This obviously worried Carlton, who hasn't physically seen her in over five months. It was paining the both of them. 

Of course, he's incredibly worried because she is now eight months pregnant. She's due to go on paternity leave in the next few days. Carlton, who was getting antsy, was supposed to fly out next week. He had a different plan.

"I'm coming tomorrow," he told her. "I miss you, I miss our Ruby, and I don't feel comfortable with you continuing to drive yourself to the hospital when you have your false contractions." Sighing, she told him, "Johnny's been driving me. You don't need to get in trouble for this."

"Well, kudos to your brother, but this is my child. I won't get in trouble," he assured. "It's two weeks until the birth, then another three for me to get acquainted with my baby before I watch her grow through Skype." Cassie was about to say something, but he continued, "Plus, I'm taking you to the doctor once you go on leave. I'm worried. You sound like you're getting sick."

Damn. She can't hide anything from him. She's been coming down with a cold, but she's been pushing through it. "I don't need a doctor," she told him. "I've been taking care of myself, I promise." It was silent for a moment. "You can't give birth while you're sick. I'm taking you for a quick check-up."

She wasn't going to win. "Fine," she huffed. 

Less than twenty-four hours later, Carlton was quietly unlocking her door with his spare key. He had gotten an earlier flight than intended, but that's only because he had to see her, had to touch her, had to see what was going on with her. 

When he walked into her bedroom, he saw her sleeping with the bedside light on, an open book on her chest, and with her glasses resting on her nose. He smiled and went over, sitting down next to her. Gently, he took her books and set it on the nightstand, then slowly slipped off her glasses.

It's been five months. He almost forgot how beautiful she looked when she slept. He rested his hand on her stomach. It's gotten so big, he was so amazed. She was three months along the last time he saw her.

Very slowly, her eyes opened to him smiling like a loon at her stomach. "Hey there, stranger," she sleepily said. Carlton's eyes moved up to hers, his smile never fading. "Hi, beautiful," he said. Cassie sat up, then wrapped her arms around his neck for a hug. He hugged back and ran his hands all over her, feeling her again. 

After a moment, he pulled back, then kissed her. Oh, it felt so good to taste her again. It reminded him that he was home with his family. "I missed you," he whispered against her lips. "God, I missed you so much." He ran his hand over her stomach, then kissed her again. 

"We both missed you," she told him. "I'm actually glad you came early." He smiled and said, "Me, too. I'm just bummed you'll be at work the next few days." She her hands through his hair and said, "I won't be there. Seeing as I only have two weeks left, I have been, basically, forced on paternity leave effective immediately."

"Well, that's great news," he said. He looked down at her stomach again. "I can't believe how big you've gotten, Ruby. My sweet baby girl." He leaned down and kissed her stomach, but then felt a kick where his lips were. He looked up at Cassie in shock. 

She giggled, "Yeah, she does that." Carlton laughed, "That's my baby, already a little fighter. You're going to have daddy's temper, aren't you?" Cassie let out a long groan as she said, "No! I swear, I will give you full custody if she does, then you'll know what it's like to live with you!" 

Carlton laughed, but could see she was serious. He cleared his throat, then said, "Alright, I'm going to take a shower. That was a long flight." Cassie let him go, then got under the covers and fell asleep. When Carlton got out of the shower and got dressed, he got down with her and smiled as she slept.

**

"Your stress test was off the charts," Dr. Lowe informed Cassie, as she sat in her Chemo chair and Carlton was sat on the ground by her legs. "Have you gone on paternity leave yet?" Cassie nodded and said, "Yeah, just yesterday." Dr. Lowe tsk'd. "In my professional opinion, you should have gone on it sooner," he told her. 

Carlton wrapped his hand around Cassie's calf and asked, "How bad is it?" Sighing, he was told, "Well, it's nothing being bedridden can't fix. I am ordering you on bedrest for the remainder of your pregnancy, Cassie. That means no more work related activities, nothing that involves stress. You can harm the baby if you keep it up. Her heart rate was way up there with yours and that's a life-risking factor."

Cassie clutched on to the sides of the chair until her knuckles turned white. "Again," Dr. Lowe said, "it's nothing a little bedrest can't fix. Stay in bed, watch T.V., eat junk food...just don't do anything that might cause stress."She nodded and Carlton leaned up to shake Dr. Lowe's hand. 

"I'm hurting our baby, Carlton," Cassie said. "All because of my stupid job." Carlton got up on his knees in front of her and said, "Don't you dare. Don't start this. She is going to be fine, as long as you just stay in bed, alright? Once we get home, you won't have to lift a finger, I'll be doing everything. Don't worry." 

He rubbed his hand over her stomach, then felt a kick. He chuckled, "See, she doesn't want mummy to worry, either." Cassie smiled and put her hand over his. "These two weeks are going to be a challenge," she said. Carlton smiled and said, "Yes, but when have we ever turned down a challenge?"