Old Faces

Cassie had just gotten her Butter Poached Nova Scotia Lobster at the bar, which ended up being fifty dollars on it's own, and the size of a...ping pong ball. It was one ball of lobster on top of some dressing. For a fifty dollar lobster, she thought it would be bigger than her head! 

With a loud sigh, she called over the waiter and asked the size of the Forest Mushroom Anolini. When she found out that the blow was no bigger than the lobster, she shooed him away and ate the lobster in one bite. It was really, very good, but the portion was highly disappointing. 

Once again, she called over her waiter and asked the serving size of the ice cream. That too was no bigger than the lobster. So, she asked about the chocolates and candies and found out that she could choose as many as she wanted! 

Guess that will be my dessert after I get a very large pizza on the way back to the hotel, she happily thought to herself. She told the waiter she would go and pick out what she wanted after she finished her drink. Just as she was taking a sip of her third, extra whiskey Manhattan, she heard an eerily familiar voice softly say, "Cassie." 

She turned her head with a curious look on her face. She didn't know anyone here, besides Dennis and there's no doubt that he was still outside on his phone. She didn't want to deal with anyone right now, let alone him. It wasn't until her eyes landed on a very sexy, handsome, British prime minister that the feeling went away. 

It was him. He was here. He was just a few stools down from her with a glass of scotch in his hand that was starting to tip over from mild shock of seeing her. He was really here. She couldn't believe it. 

"Carlton," she breathed. A small and relieved smile appeared on her face as he got up from his seat and started making his way over. When he got next to her, he looked hesitant to do anything. He looked to the stool next to her and asked, "Is this seat taken?" 

She got enchanted in his voice and nearly swooned at hearing it again. She didn't think she would hear it for a long time. After a moment, she shook her head and told him, "No. Please, sit." He thanked her and sat down, while waving over the bartender. 

"Another scotch for me and whatever the lady wants," he said. Cassie ordered herself a lighter drink, then turned herself to Carlton. Was he really here right now? She watched his universe-like eyes trail her body. "I love this dress," he told her. He grazed his finger over a little tear in the slit by her thigh and smiled fondly at the memory of him tearing at the dress to get it off of her. 

His eyes wandered back up to hers and he couldn't help the smile that appeared on his lips from seeing those blue eyes again. "How are you, Cassie?" He asked, while picking up his scotch and lifting it to his lips. 

"I'm good," she told him as she lifted her glass as well. "Just running an election." Carlton hummed into his glass and took a swig of his drink. "How about you?" Cassie asked, as she set down her drink. He shrugged. "Just running a country." 

Cassie chuckled, "No shit, Sherlock. I mean you." He gave her a small smirk, but it slowly faded. He has been doing horribly without her, but he couldn't say that could he? Not now. Later. 

"Fine," he told her. "I just didn't realize this damn thing was a type of luncheon." They both looked to the blocked off room where important looking people were still going in and out. "My new assistant kind of fucked that one up for me, though I have to partly blame Jacob for that, as well. I know you would have been on top of it."

"And I would have made an excuse for you not to go," she told him. "Luncheons are the worst. I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to go to one of those." She gave him a wink, making him laugh. "But you better go now that you're committed," she advised. 

He hummed in thought, then looked back over to the room. "I won't be missed," he muttered. He turned back to her, before asking, "Did you eat yet?" Cassie nodded and said, "A lobster the size of a ping pong ball. I was thinking of ordering pizza on my way back to the hotel."

Carlton snickered, "By yourself?" Of course, just as he said that, Cassie spotted Dennis looking for her by their table from before. "I was hoping," she told him, while still looking at Dennis. He soon spotted her and started walking over to her and Carlton. 

"Babe, what the hell?" Dennis snapped. "Do you know the strings my father had to pull to get us that table? And you're eating here? Jesus Christ." Cassie let out a huge sigh. "Well, you're one to talk Dennis," she told him. "You just had to answer your damn phone in the middle of our dinner!" 

Dennis was about to retort, but Carlton quickly stood up and turned to him. "Ben Carlton, Prime Minister," Carlton introduced with a sharp tone. He looked to Cassie and told Dennis, "I apologize for stealing Ms. Hansen away, I just saw her eating alone and thought she might want some company." 

He didn't know who this guy was, but he could only guess and he didn't like it. "Well, I can keep her company now, thanks," Dennis snarled. "Cass, come on let's--." He stopped when his phone started ringing. He didn't skip a beat before answering it and turning her back on her. 

Cassie turned to Carlton and said, "If you can't tell, this is my ever charming boyfriend, Dennis." Carlton figured that's who this guy was to her, but it didn't hurt any less when she said it. Boyfriend. Should have figured, I mean...look at her. 

He cleared his throat and said, "Yes, charming." Just then, Dennis started walking out of the restaurant like he did an hour ago, making Cassie grunt and roll her eyes. Upon seeing this, Carlton ordered them some more drinks, then said, "Let's finish these and we'll go get that pizza." 

Cassie breathed out a laugh and smiled. "Okay," she told him. "But I want--." "Benedict!" Someone called through the chatter of the restaurant. Both he and Cassie turned to see a woman walking towards them. 

Carlton closed his eyes and sighed. Theresa seems to have horrible timing. Once she got up to them, she hooked her arm through his and asked, "Why are you here? You know you can't leave the party yet, it's rude to the other guests."

She looked over to Cassie and said, "Hello. I'm Theresa, I'm Benedict's date." She held out her hand to Cassie with a kind smile. Cassie returned the smile (though not as genuine) and shook Theresa's skinny hand. "I'm Cassie," she said. "It's nice to meet you. And I think I've held up Benedict long enough, so I'll just get going to my date." 

Carlton looked almost appalled at her as she started walking away. "Cassie, wait!" He called. He went up to her and took her a few feet to where Theresa couldn't hear him say, "Catch a cab. I'll be there in a few minutes." She looked at him with a shocked expression, before saying, "No. Carlton, she's your date--."

"She's a set-up, Cass, she's not my actual date," he interrupted. "Jacob didn't want me showing up alone after what happened between us. He wanted it to seem as if our affair wasn't anything." Cassie was a little confused at this point. "But...it wasn't anything," she told him. "You said it yourself. You said it was fun, that's it." 

Carlton huffed out an annoyed grunt, then said, "Just get the cab."