No Big Deal

2 Months Later 

Cassie didn't realize how big of a deal this was going to be. The last Chief of Staff didn't get this much attention on his inauguration day, but Cassie is the first female Chief of Staff and is in the recession stage of her fight against cancer. 

People would make a big deal about that. Not to mention, she's nearing the fifth month of her pregnancy, which was - inappropriately - deemed the scandal of the year for the White House. 

Carlton wanted to fly down to be there for her inauguration, but his promise to Parliament and the people was keeping him from doing so. It's been two months since they haven't seen each other through a computer screen.

Carlton was upset with every appointment he missed, but they face timed during the most important ones, like hearing the baby's heart beat or finding out if the cancer was coming back or not. 

It wasn't. 

Today, Cassie knew Carlton would be seeing her through a T.V. screen. The inauguration wasn't nearly as big as the President's, so it was simply being held in the Oval Office, where the President will swear her in. It was going to be an incredibly short swear in. She only has to swear to two things, so why this was being aired on T.V., she still couldn't figure out. 

In the meantime, she was all over the news. Everyone was talking about her, the cancer, Carlton, the baby, her brother...everything. Johnny was there, of course, to support his big sister and promised he was taping this to show his students. 

"This is a historic day," he argued, when she told him he was being ridiculous. "That's why you're all over the place. The first black President is swearing in the first female Chief of Staff. This is huge!" Cassie hugged him, then said, "Just make sure I don't trip or do anything stupid."

He laughed, then told her, "I won't."

A little while later, they were being escorted to the Oval, where several T.V. cameras were set up and where the President, First Lady, and some important staff of the White House were waiting. "Cass," the President said with a smile, as he walked over to her. "You're looking a lot better."

She nodded and said, "I'm feeling a lot better, sir. Just waiting for this hair to grow back and this baby to come out." He laughed, "Well, all in due time. You nervous?" She took a deep breathed, then breathed out, "Yeah. There's a lot going on here. I mean, what's the point?" 

"The point is, America and the world wants to see the first ever Chief of Staff get sworn in. But hey, don't worry about them. Just focus on me and I'll get this over with as painlessly as possible. Okay?" She smiled and told him, "Okay. Thank you, Mr. President." They walked over to the center of the Oval, where she hugged the First Lady. 

One of the members of the crew said they were rolling, so the President picked up a bible and held it in front of him and Cassie put her hand on top. The President didn't seem to care if the cameras were rolling or not because he started to say; 

"Cassandra Hansen. I have chosen you as my next Chief of Staff because of your diligence, your dedication to this party, to me, and to this country. Do you swear to take the role as the White House's First Chief of Staff as a representation of this country?"

Cassie put up her right hand and said, "I do." He then asked the final question, "Do you swear to take this job as I take mine; focusing on the better of the country and it's people?" This was it. Cassie nodded and said, "I do." 

The President took away the bible and smiled. "Congratulations, Cassie," he said with a wide smile and a shake of the hand. The room started clapping, even the cameramen. She and the President both turned with their hands still together and posed for a picture. 

She was officially the United Sates' Chief of Staff.