A Face From the Past

"I am standing right outside MedStar Washington Hospital Center, where we have just been given news that the Prime Minister, Benedict Carlton, and his girlfriend, the U.S. Chief of Staff Cassie Hansen, have welcomed the birth of their first child just last night. The couple sent out a statement, saying the baby is a girl, but there is no news on whether they have chosen a name."

Ben paced around the room with his little bundle of joy in his arms, as he told Cassie, "Turn that crap off. I don't want to hear the press getting into our personal lives." Cassie shook her head and turned the channel on to some geographic network.

She looked over and saw Carlton with the widest smile on his face, as he looked down at his little girl. She has never seen him this happy and it was warming her her heart immensely. Over the past several hours, they've had some visitors like Michelle and Johnny and the President and First Lady sent a dozen pink roses. They were so thankful for everyone involved.

"Gonna share?" Cassie playfully asked. "Nope," Carlton retorted, but turned to her with a smile. He walked over to her and sat down on the bed. "I just can't get over how tiny she is," he said. "So tiny and so perfect. And I can't believe she's mine. Well, ours, but you know what I mean."

Cassie leaned her head on his shoulder and looked down at Dani, who was more than content in her daddy's strong arms. "I could be raising a boy who isn't even my son," he continued. "I wouldn't know it, either. I don't think I would care, to be honest. But she just proves that I care more than anything in the world."

He leaned down and kissed her head, then plucked a couple kisses on her cheeks. "Stay like this forever, Dani," he told her. "Don't grow up on me." Cassie kissed Ben's shoulder, then rubbed his arms. "I want to get her home," she said.

He nodded and told her, "Me too. We can go home this afternoon, but I need a way to sneak you both out. Here, take her and I'm going to make a few calls." He handed Dani to her, then slipped out of the room.

Cassie looked down at her little girl and smiled. She gently ran her finger over her head and down her soft cheeks, just to remember the feel of her like this. "He is so happy," she whispered. "I've never seen him so happy. Thank you, baby." She kissed her head and smiled when Dani's little arm reached up and grabbed her mommy's nose.

Cassie giggled, then heard the door open. "That was quick," she said without taking her eyes off her daughter. "I think Dani likes--." She stopped when she looked up. That wasn't Carlton. It was her father. He looked almost unrecognizable, but she could tell it was him by his eyes. His cold, dark eyes.

She didn't realize it, but she was practically shaking. She wanted to throw up from the mere sight of him. She wanted to call for Carlton, or reach for the nurses button...but she was frozen in fear. The only thing she could do was hold Dani closer to her.

"Did you get my note?" He asked in a raspy voice. She didn't answer, but just stared in disbelief. Could this seriously be happening? Suddenly, his fist slammed down on the table her food was on and he shouted, "Did you get my note?!"

Cassie jumped and Dani started crying. Cassie looked down at her daughter and lovingly shushed her, before looking back up at her father. "Wha...what note?" She shakily asked. He scoffed, then shook his head. "That prick must have tossed it," he grumbled.

"I tried to see you at the hospital," he told her. "That Prime Minister that you've been fucking like a whore practically threw me out. Your brother did, too. When did I raise such a whiney bitch?" Cassie took a deep breath, then said, "You didn't raise him. I did. And he's not a bitch."

Her dad let out a laugh, but then started coughing so much that Cassie thought he was going to loose a lung. "Sorry," he said, as he wiped the coughed up blood from his lips. "You know what this is like. At least, you did."

His eyes then went down to Dani. "This is my granddaughter," he said. Cassie held Dani as close as she possibly could. Her daughter was still crying, but there wasn't anything she could do at the moment. "She's crying just like you used to," he said. "Your mother...she tried to calm you with songs and talking. I'm sure she would have done the same to that pussy of a brother you raised. But...he killed her. Took her from us."

Cassie shook her head and started to cry. This was getting to be too much. "Let me hold her," he said, as he took a step towards her. "No," she sharply told him. He glared at her and said, "Let me hold my bastard granddaughter!"

"Don't call her that!" She cried. "Carlton! Ben!" She screamed his name at the top of her lungs and Carlton bolted into the room in just a few seconds. The moment his eyes landed on her father, he saw red. "You son of a bitch!" He shouted.

Carlton charged at the frail-looking man and grabbed his jacket, pulling him away from his fiancée and daughter. He shoved the man up on the wall and looked at him with nothing but fury in his eyes. "If you ever come near my girls again, I will have you assassinated!" He yelled. "Do you fucking hear me?!"

He was dangerously close to this low life's face. He continued, "If you come near my family, and that includes Johnny, I will pull the trigger myself!" He let go of his jacket and watched as he slumped to the floor and started coughing.

He coughed up blood for a moment, then slowly looked up at Ben and started laughing, while showing his blood stained teeth. "Get the fuck out of here," Carlton snarled. Her father slowly stood and balanced himself, then looked to Cassie.

"Like mother like daughter," he said. "You've got a whore and a whore in the making." Carlton punched him square in the jaw, causing him to fly down to the floor. Carlton picked him up by the lapels of his jacket and put their faces close together.

"Call my wife and my daughter whores one more time," he dared. But he didn't say anything, so Carlton let him go. A few seconds later, some security came in and asked, "Is everything alright, Mr. Prime Minister?"

Cassie's father stumbled out of the room and Carlton scoffed at his security. "You are all fired!" He shouted. "Get out of here, I want new security here within the hour!" The shocked security left the room and closed the door behind them.

Carlton looked over and saw Cassie sobbing, while trying to calm Dani's crying. He's never thought his heart could physically break. "Oh god," he breathed out, then sped walked over to them. He held them both in his arms tried to calm them.

Things were going so well.