My Everything

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. That's all Carlton heard. Well, that and the sound of his own sobs. He was crying like he's never cried before. Just a few hours ago, they were told she had six to eight months left. They went home and made love. Things seemed to be alright. 

Now they're saying she won't make it past the month. 

She had an undetectable infection where she had surgery on her ovaries. The infection spread throughout her body over the course of the past few months. It got into her lungs and chest and that's when she fell. 

The pain was coming from the infection and the cancer. Both of them combined was making it feel like her body was on fire and like she was being stabbed by a thousand knives. There was no way to catch it and even if they did, there was no way to stop it. 

Even if she could recover or could go home, she won't be able to walk on her own...or ever again for that matter. She's paralyzed from the waist down. She damaged her spinal cord on the fall. The doctors think she might have hit the nightstand on the way down. 

Carlton sobbed harder and harder into his hands the more he thought about it. He kept thinking that if he were in there, that if he hadn't had left...this wouldn't have happened. They think she needed to get up to go vomit, but said she lost her balance on the way. 

"Stupid, stupid...stupid!" He hit his head in between words, then gripped his hair tightly. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," he cried. He continued to sob and shake his head. 

It was about an hour later when he passed out from the exhaustion of crying. His head was in Cassie's lap and he was snoozing away. He woke up when he felt something move in his hair. He slowly reached up and found a hand. 

Very slowly, he opened his eyes and looked over at Cassie. She was awake...but she looked ten times worse than she did a few hours ago. "Hey," she croaked out. Carlton held tightly on to her hand and slowly sat up, never taking his eyes off of her. 

A moment later, he started crying again. "I'm so sorry," he cried. She weakly pulled on his hand and he got up and sat down on the ned next to her. They hugged and he told her about her fall, the infection, the fact that she's paralyzed. That she only had a month left of her life.

He was holding her as she sobbed into his chest. 

After she calmed down a little, Carlton got her to lay back down. "Tell me what to do," he said. "Anything you want, anything in the world and it's your's." She put her hands on his cheeks and stroked her thumbs under his eyes. 

"I want to be Mrs. Carlton," she told him. "Please, Carlton, I want to marry you." He quickly nodded and kissed the palm of her hand several times. "I'll work something out with these next few days," he told her. "Anything else?"

She nodded, then told him, "I want to see my baby." He immediately went out to the waiting room and got Dani from Jacob. When he brought her into the room, Cassie started crying and held her daughter close. 

She smothered her and kisses and affection and Carlton watched with tears threatening to spill over once again. To distract himself from that, he went out into the hall and started planning his wedding. 

**

3 Weeks Later

"Do I look alright?" Carlton asked, as he straightened out his jacket. Johnny nodded and told him, "You look great, bro. I should probably go get Cass so I can take her down the aisle. Carlton nodded and said, "Right. Of course. How's she doing?"

Johnny sighed and shook his head. "She's excited about today, though. It's all she can talk about." He started to walk out, but then turned back and hugged Carlton. "Thank you," he said. Carlton hugged his almost brother-in-law, then they both let go.