Retirement

"No'mmph. Cass...Cassie. No'mm. No...no...No!" Carlton shot up form bed in a cold sweat and started gasping for breath. After he realized that his dream about being with Cassie was yet another dream, he let out a painful sigh and shut his eyes tightly as he fell back into bed.

 After he realized that his dream about being with Cassie was yet another dream, he let out a painful sigh and shut his eyes tightly as he fell back into bed

Of course as soon as he closed his eyes, I saw Cassie and shot them open again. It's been a month and it's been the worst of his life. Everyday, he grieved by staying in bed and sobbing into his pillow as he held on to Cassie's because it still smelt like her lavender hair.

People wondered where their Prime Minister was, even though they knew what he was going through. He didn't make appearances, he didn't make any speeches or attend any meetings. It was almost as if Jacob was replacing him. 

With a disgruntled sigh, he got out of bed and threw on his robe. He walked out of the room and into Dani's to check on. She was sound asleep and completely unaware of the pain her father was in. He walked up to her crib and placed a small kiss on her head, before walking out. 

He trudged down to his office and sat at his desk in the dark. He had a hankering for a smoke right about now, but he smoked all of his packs already. He didn't smoke, not until Cassie died because he needed some sort of chemical release. 

"Wait," he said to himself, before opening his drawers and digging through them. "There you are," he said, taking out his secret stash of cigarettes. He put on into his mouth and lit it, before taking a big inhale. He released the smoke and let out a sigh. 

He reached down to close his desk drawers when something caught his eye. He pulled out Cassie's notebook from his bottom drawer and set it on his desk. With the cigarette in one hand, he opened the notebook with the other. 

It was filled with neat writing from his meetings nearly two years ago, one being with the Queen. He ran his hand down the paper and saw a tear drop fall on to a very neatly written "a". He smiled when he saw her side notes. 

"Carlton is an asshole, but don't let him win." 

"Play hard to get, you can do this!"

"He isn't too bad after all. You reading this Carlton? No, I don't totally hate you, but still jump in front of a train." 

He laughed and sniffled. "I love you, too, darling," he said. He flipped through each page, until he got to his own writing. He put the notebook in his top drawer and also pulled a gun from that top drawer. 

He took a huge hit of the cigarette, before putting it out. "I'll be with you soon enough," he said, staring at the gun. He leaned back against the chair, took the gun and stuck it in his mouth. He took some uneasy deep breaths and his hand was sweating and shaking uncontrollably. 

He closed his eyes and thought to himself, You can do this. The sooner you do it, the closer you get to Cassie...my beautiful girl. My wife, my one true love. The mother of my child. My child...Dani. What will she think of me? She'll think I'm weak that I took the easy way out and left her here...an orphan. I know what it's like to loose both parents...I can't do that to her.