Ch. 48

Bri's POV

"Shawn, I'm sorry," I say. We were making our way to my house, and Shawn had not said a thing the whole time.

"I get that, but I shouldn't have told you that we could still be friends if you're going to stay with that jerk," Shawn said.

"Shawn! I won't! I will leave him, I will move countries if it means that we can start over!" I shouted.

"Brianna, I don't know if I can trust you. I can't trust you if you're going to be going behind my back all the time," Shawn said, quietly.

"But I won't go behind your back all the time," I said, trying to stay calm like he is.

"Brianna, when I first saw you and you were explaining yourself, I trusted you, there was a little piece of me saying that you weren't lying. And now I'm starting to think that I was just desperate and groggy, and happy to see that I wasn't completely lost in the woods," Shawn said, his voice not raising a bit.

"But you should trust me," I said, emphasizing "should."

"But I don't know if I can," Shawn said, emphasizing can, and mocking me.

I sighed out of frustration. "Please just try," I said, looking down.

I could hear Shawn shake his head. I'm pretty sure he knew where he was going, so he walked across the busy highway road.

Shawn's POV

I smile.

I should be a track star if I ran this far, wow I'm already tired.

Brianna started trailing behind me, probably because I have longer legs than her, and she takes the shortest steps in the world, leaving me with my thoughts, alone.

I shouldn't have accepted her apology. I was tired and just happy to see a face I knew so I wasn't completely lost. And it was Brianna, out of all people. God, I feel like an ass for lying to her, but she did cheat on me with somebody who tried to kill her.

As I walk, arguing with myself in my head, I make my way into a familiar neighborhood, mine.

I walk, my head down, so nobody will see the tears forming in my eyes, because I have been such an asshole to such a sensitive girl.

I walk until the roads become not familiar at all, so I look up and spin around in a 360° circle until I notice that I have walked through my neighborhood into another one.

"Fucking idiot," I mumble to myself and start to walk toward my neighborhood.

It's sad that these streets that I have lived next to my whole life are so foreign to me. So, in the middle of walking back to where my house is located, I turn around and make my way through the neighborhood that is so close but so far.

I decide to keep my head up this time, looking around at all of the houses and people living inside them entering and exiting their homes. I walk down the right side of the road, on the sidewalk that looks brand new.

I take in a deep breath of the stale air. It's odd that even though we share the same air, it feels different as it enters my nose.

I smile to myself and say quietly, "I like it," and keep walking until the moon is shining.