Chapter 61: City Skies and Your Eyes

"Toronto?" I ask quietly.

Anxiety form knots in my stomach as I process exactly what this could mean. The majority of my worst memories come from that city, and I still haven't come to terms with some of the things that happened. I haven't been back since Sam and Jeremy's funerals, and I haven't faced Angela since I up and left over a year ago.

"Babe," Ross calls; snapping me out of the trace-like state my fears have created. "We're not staying in the city."

"Where are we going?"

"The cabin your dad used to take you to as a kid," he answers gently.

His response hits me like a truck. That place was the key to my happiness back in my old life. Every good memory I can recall involves weekends away with Kayden and the man, who until recently, I believed to be my father.

"I love you so much," I breathe; pulling him into a tight hug.

"Final boarding call for flight 1096 to Toronto," a lady announces over the intercom.

"See you guys in a week," I call.

"Here, before I forget," Rocky responds with a smirk.

Digging in his bag. He pulls out a box of condoms and hands them to Ross. Ross grins and shoves them into his carryon, but his smile morphs into a mortified expression as he meets Ratliff's unimpressed glare.

"Safety first," Riker winks.

"Oh, wow, you guys are funny!" I exclaim sarcastically. "Too bad the special Olympics don't have a comedy competition."

Smirking arrogantly at the glares I receive from the boys, I take Ross' hand and lead him onto the plane.

We settle into our seats just as the pre-flight instructions begin. The plane is packed full, but thankfully no one recognizes us.

As we begin the ascent, an overwhelming wave of exhaustion washes over me. Snuggling into Ross' embrace; I allow myself to slip into a sound and dreamless sleep.

.

"Marriya," a distant voice calls. "Baby Girl."

My body beings to rock back and forth gently; the calling slowly getting louder. My eyes flutter open to find Ross' hazel eyes gazing lovingly into mine.

"Come on, Princess, we're here."

Due to the time difference between Toronto and Los Angeles, it is about 9pm when we land. Groggily, I take his hand and follow him off the plane. After grabbing our bags when they come around, we make our way out if the airport and Ross manages to hail a taxi.

"CN Tower please," Ross requests.

"Yes, Sir," the cab driver responds respectfully before pulling out into traffic.

I've only been to the tower once, and that was with Mikayla and her family. That was over five years ago, though, so I can't imagine the changes that have been made. The sun begins to set as we speed along; giving the tops of all the buildings the pink and orange glow of the fading sky. Streetlights begin to flick on as they register the lack of sun in the space around them; the only other sources illuminating the streets being headlights and neon store advertisements.

"Here we are," the cabbie announces as he parks along the curb in front of the building.

Ross hands cash to the man before slinging our bags over his shoulder and leading me inside. After paying our admission fees, we make our way up the tower.