Blame

Bruno and the band finished touring for a bit at the end of November. They spent a lot of time in my studio. One day Bruno came in with a few of his band members. Jess was with them too. She was pretty preoccupied with her phone.

"Yo!" Bruno yelled. "What's up?"

He was stumbling all over the place and slurring. It wasn't pretty.

"Are you drunk?" I asked.

"Yeppppp!" he laughed uncontrollably.

"Bruno it's only noon."

"Sooooooo..." he said, like a little kid.

I shook my head. He asked me if I wanted to go out with them later that night. I wanted to. I really did, to stop him from doing something really stupid. My stomach was killing me though and I didn't want to get sick at the club, so I used my typical excuse.

"Naw, it's okay. I'm have a lot of work to do tonight."

They hung out for a while and then left when they realized that I didn't even have an intention of entertaining them.

"Alright...see ya later, I guess," Bruno said, sounding a little pissed off. A couple of days later, he asked again.

"Hey I'm going out with the guys tonight, wanna come?" Bruno asked.

I was still underage for a couple of months so I had to pay the bouncers to get in, every time. I took a couple extra pills that morning to get through, even though I probably shouldn't have.

"Yeah okay."

I monitored Bruno's drink count the whole night. He stumbled and slurred his way across the dance floor toward the bar where I stood. He was completely oblivious that he was bumping into everyone.

"Bruno I think maybe you should hold off from another drink for a while."

"Uh..." he said with a goofy voice and a lot of sarcasm. "How about no?" He slammed down his drink and asked for another one.

I ignored his attitude and went to the dance floor where Phil was. Not too many songs later, Phil's eyes widened.

"Aw shit, Bruno," Phil said.

Bruno was arguing with a girl and a guy. He was flirting with her. It wasn't too hard to guess at that point. Phil went over first and Bruno pushed him out of the way. Eric went next. Then, it was my turn. I stood in front of him, facing him. He reeked of alcohol.

I stood there with my hands on my hips. "We're leaving, Bruno."

"Lily get outta my way."

He wouldn't push me around, even as a drunk.

"Bruno! Get into the FUCKING car," I yelled. Luckily the loud music drowned out most of the fighting.

He was snarling his teeth and grunting like an animal, but he obeyed.

Phil stared at me as I pulled out my wallet. I took out a couple hundred dollars and gave the money to the guy Bruno was just fighting with.

The guy looked confused.

"Go out and have a good time. I'm so sorry for that."

Phil stared at me as we walked outside where Bruno was standing, still fuming with rage.

"Damn, Lil. You're a good friend."

I rolled my eyes, shaking my head. "Just trying to protect his reputation. He's not making it easy."

Phil came along for the ride to make sure the beast was contained. Bruno got into the backseat of my car and Phil hopped in the front.

"I fuckin' hate you guys," he said.