Sweet as Pie

"Daddy?" I heard from behind.

I was expecting to see her bright and shining face as always. Her smile always made me smile myself, especially as she got older and began to say some of the funniest things I'd ever heard in my life. Three years olds are so funny. Her smile wasn't so bright this time. It was hesitant and nervous.

"Layna, what's wrong?"

She took an uneasy breath. I knelt in front of her and took her little hands in mine. Layna looked down, refusing to make eye contact with me.

"Are you okay?"

She looked like she was about to cry.

"Baby girl, please talk to me."

"Umm...why does Mommy put those needle thingys in her leg?"

I sighed. I feared the day she would ask this question. I picked Layna up and sat down on the couch with her in my lap. I took a second to think about it as she stared at me with Lily's eyes. They pierced my soul.

I thought about making up a story so Lily and I could talk to her about this together later. But then I thought she could handle the truth and deserved it. She was smart, just like her mother.

"They're her medicine."

"Is she sick? Is she going to die?" she cried a little.

My heart broke into a million pieces. Her worried eyes stopped my breath. "Sweetheart, Mommy's going to be fine. Mommy used to be really sick, before you were born."

Layna looked a little sad. I placed my hand on her belly.

"Her tummy hurt a lot so the doctors gave her medicine."

"Oh," she uttered weakly. "Do the needles hurt?"

I smiled a little bit, thinking. "No, do you know why?"

"Why?" she asked.

"Because Mommy is a superhero," I whispered into her ear.

"Whoa!" she exclaimed with a smile so wide that it made me smile. "Awesome!"

I knew I was going to regret saying that later, but in the moment it was worth it.

Lily had a long day in the studio. She'd been working a lot. She came back around dinnertime and started cooking. It was almost ready when Layna came over to the counter where all the food was sitting, trying to reach for her water bottle. She pulled the towel it was sitting on and a dish of mashed potatoes was on it too. A few seconds later, she pulled the towel all the way and the dish fell to the ground. Pieces of glass and potatoes flew everywhere. Layna jumped and took a few steps back, shaking.

"LAYNA WHAT DID YOU DO?!" Lily snapped and yelled, turning around.

Layna started to cry and ran upstairs to her room. Lily and I locked eyes for a second. She put down the spoon she was holding and put her hands over her eyes.

"It's okay, Lil. You've had a long day," I said, holding her close to my chest.

"Bruno, Layna hates me," she cried.

I held her even tighter and placed a firm grip on the back of her head. "No she doesn't. You made one mistake. She loves you."

I pulled her away from me for a second. I held her head with both hands, staring into her eyes. Her eyes were bloodshot and puffy. She had circles under them too. I quickly kissed her quivering lips. 

"Sweetheart, you're a great mom, the best. I should've cooked dinner. I'm sorry. It's not your fault."

It didn't make her feel better. I brought her in again and kissed her forehead.