Try

After we got back from the competition I went to sleep wanting the weekend to end. Wilson placed first, Justin and Sasha placed second, Lucy and Jayna third, Brianna, Zac and Trevor didn't place. It was good but bad at the same time because most of my friends were bummed on the way home.

On Monday morning someone was knocking on our door at 6 am. I open the door to see Miss Kim. "Yes?" I ask her.

"I want you and Justin practicing every day this week except Wednesday. You need to get this down for the competition this weekend."

"But."

"No Grace that is that." She walks away before I can say anything else. I slam the door shut not happy. Justin still hasn't texted me or explained at all what happened with him and Sasha and the longer he takes the angrier I get. I keep getting thoughts like maybe he's not texting me because he's too busy with his tongue down Sasha's throat. Now wide awake I go to get ready for school. Time goes by fast and I just want this week over with. Wilson said he'd take me on a date Sunday and I'm actually really looking forward to it. With lots of time left I decide to go to the studios to dance for maybe a little.

I walk down the empty halls. It's weird to not see people flooding the halls. The auditions are in like two weeks, and I know that I need to start and audition piece. The studios are empty when I walk in. I go into my normal privet dance studio. I plug my phone repeating one song and just dance for once.

The rhythm moves through my body and I love this song. The words so wholesome and true.

Get your sexy on
Don't be shy, girl
Take it off
This is what you want, to belong
So they like you. Do you like you?

You don't have to try so hard
You don't have to give it all away
You just have to get up, get up, get up, get up
You don't have to change a single thing

My heart starts to ache as I listen and dance. Why do I care what they think? Why do I try so hard only to be rejected? Is there something wrong with me? No, but with my image of myself, my self-value. How I see myself, not how others see me. I always find the flaws, the negatives. When did my life become all about lies? Lies that I tell others and lies that I tell myself. Lies like I'm confident, that I love myself and how other girls envy how I see myself but the truth is I hate looking in the mirror and seeing my flawed face looking back at me. I hate feeling like I'm just Grace where as others see me as Grace Andrews. Sometimes I want to be anything but just Grace where as others that's all I wish for. Why is my life so complicated? I feel myself breaking as I dance on.

Wait a second,
Why should you care, what they think of you
When you're all alone, by yourself
Do you like you? Do you like you?

You don't have to try so hard
You don't have to give it all away
You just have to get up, get up, get up, get up
You don't have to change a single thing

You don't have to try so hard
You don't have to bend until you break
You just have to get up, get up, get up, get up
You don't have to change a single thing

I feel myself let go. All of my pain, it's nice to just be numb for a little, leave everything on he dance floor. Be something other than myself. Just a person lost in time and music. I dance and feel almost free, but it all comes tumbling down when the door opens and the last words of the song ring through the room.

Take your make up off
Let your hair down
Take a breath
Look into the mirror, at yourself
Don't you like you?
Cause I like you