Chapter 7

§
Chapter 7
Silence is golden
§

This kid was EVERYWHERE. The gym, the library, my classes and now the place where i volunteer. I was helping the kids with their homework when he barged in with boxes of pizza. If all the kids werent watching id throw the bouncy ball i was rolling back and forth with my foot right at his head. Of course all the kids dropped their homework and ran over taking slices.

Grabbing the back of his shirt i pull him towards a more quiet side of the room and if he wasnt so big id throw him into the wall. "What is your problem?" I snap at him simultaneously snapping the pencil in my hand.

"You could say thank you" he smirks taking a bite out of a meat lovers slice of pizza and i scowl in disgust. All of the food in his mouth was on one side making his dimples stick out even more, which was kind of adoreable...i still hated him though. Finishing the pizza in three more bites he licks all his fingers sending me a wink when he slowly licks the last one then casually walks off. Did he just.....

He goes over to one of the smaller boys seeing what he was doing but the boy just glares at him and walks off.

"That kendall, he just came here last week when his dad died. He was the one who found him actually so he doesnt talk to many people" i tell erik when i see the look on his face. Erik's whole demeanor changes and turns away from me.

"He's only what? 10 imagine finding your parents dead i bet you wouldnt want to talk to many people either" he says his voice softer then ive ever heard it but i miss the strain in his voice and the emotions swirling in his eye.

"Yeah... i didnt" i accidentaly blurt catching eriks attentions. "I mean wouldnt i-i wouldnt. Im going to go see if they want any help cleaning up all the pizza" i stutter quickly walking away. I cant believe i let that slip, hopefully he didnt dwell on it. Bumping into someone i quickly grab them so they dont fall.

"Is that your boyfriend" a dark skinned girl with a wild afro ask. Her eyes are a bright green and she cant be any older then 8, both of her front teeth are missing and if you look close enough you can see freckles.

"Whats your name?" I ask her and she smiles wider.

"Ashton"she grins with some sass and i smile acing her back down on the floor. She crosses her arms over her chest impatiently tapping her sparkly red ballerina flats covered foot on the wood floor.

"Well ashton, no thats not my boyfriend, hes just a guy i go to school with" i smile down at her picking up a empty pizza box, a few crumbs fall out and i make a mental note to sweep when im done.

"Hes been stairing at you for a long time i think he likes you, is he mean to you? The older girls said if a boy is mean to you it means he likes you but hes just to stupid and immature to do anything about it" she repeats twirling her fingers in her hair and i laugh out loud unable to keep it down. Kids truly are like sponges.

"Dont believe them" a guy about 14 or 15 says. He looks like a older version of her just brownskin and she clings to him happily. "Sorry if she's bothering you, she very...talkative" he says looking at her and she sticks her tounge out at him.

"And whats your name big brother?" I ask as he takes the empty boxes from my hand giving one to his younger sister who was begging to help.