Coming Home

We stay in the shire for another day and then we head off south, back to kaden after all these years. We walk along the bank of the river dean where I was found. It feels strange because although I don't recognise it I've been here before. I wonder if it was hard for my mother and kalebs to send us down the river knowing that although they will die they have given us a chance. We come to the bit were the river Dean and Duncan join together to make the river Dan. We stand there holding hands thinking how different things could have been if our baskets had stayed on the same course. It's too much for me and I burst into tears. Kaleb rubs my back trying to soothe me and when I finally stop crying he kisses me on the cheek.

We stop for a break and to consult our maps. "It should take about another day or so until we reach kaden" say kaleb studying the map tracing his finger along the river Dan. "It feels weird to think that we're coming home but nobody will be waiting for us" I say sadly. We hug for a moment comforting each other with silence. We then pull apart from each other and look into each others eyes for a moment. We walk for hours trekking silently across the fields with kaleb in front and me and Brooke walking behind. As night falls we know we're going to have to set up camp but where? The whole place is just fields nowhere sheltered in sight and neither of us feels safe out in the open.

Kaleb starts sniffing out of the blue as if he's caught the sent of something interesting, I hope it's mabey a deer that we can catch and eat. "Kaleb, what is it " I ask wanting to know. He ignores me and walks onwards sniffing the air every so often. "Looks like we aren't stopping just yet" I murmmer to Brooke. We walk after kaleb. I start to sniff the air as well to see if I can catch the sent. Kaleb then stops at a slight bump in the landscape. He sniffs the ground and then he cautiously gives a tug at the grass. To my surprise the grass lifts up to reveal a hole carved into the soil. 'it's a hidey hole" ge states. He looks at me "I've read about these in Radagasts notes. He believes that these were sort of safe spot used by wolfbloods if they were ever being chased. I sniff around the hole and then the smell finally hits me the sent of wolfbloods. It's faint but still there. "I think we'd better camp here tonight" says kaleb.

We build a small fire and sit close enough to feel the heat coming off it but not to close. We chew on lembas bread and go over all the notes we have collected on kaden. I read over the notes on hidey holes and I'm intrigued, it's such a simple idea but effective. As I sleep kaleb decides to stand guard and says he will wake me around about midnight so he can get some sleep.