Chapter 37

You know that feeling you get when someone is watching you? Well that's how Enid felt right now. It had been an hour since the incident had occurred and all she could do was sit on her cot and stare at the wall. She didn't turn to look at the person entering, and this worried them. As Carl came into Enid's line of vision she didn't even blink. Enid was usually so attentive. And now? She was depressed and frozen. Carl had thought after their talk she would've been better. And not have gone back into her hole. He hoped that she would be better just for him. That they'd be together and life would be perfect in the prison.

Of course, life had different plans.

But so did Carl.

He bent down and stared right into her eyes. Nothing. He blew air in her face. Nothing. Carl sighed and sat back on his butt.

"Enid? I know you're sad and you've gone through hell. But you need to let go of the past. Your past does not define your future. I am right here. Everyone you love and that loves you is right here. You just need to open your eyes." Carl finished up his little speech and waited. Nothing. He stood up forcefully and was about to storm out of the cell when Enid's voice stopped him.

"You're really starting to take after your dad with grand speeches every three seconds." Enid let out a small laugh and looked at Carl come back towards her. She stood up and met him halfway. Their bodies collided and Carl stroked Enid's soft, brown hair as she buried her head in his chest. They pulled apart and sat on the cot.

"What were you thinking about?" Carl asked Enid as he played with her hair.

"Just. Everything. In depth." Enid's answer was short but clear. And it was clear she did not want to talk about it. Sadly, not clear enough for a teenage boys mind.

"Are you okay? After what happened?" Carl's voice was low and soft. As if he was reassuring her.

"Am I okay? Am I okay after I was almost raped again? And then I presumed to kill the person who was only a kid like us? Do you think I'm okay?" Enid's eyes started to well up but the tears disappeared quickly.

"Truthfully. Yes. Enid. I don't think you're okay. But I think you will be okay." Carl turned to look at Enid and she looked at him. His words were short but they struck her heart. Maybe she would be okay. Maybe she and Carl would be okay and live happily ever after like in the fairy tales. As their eyes met butterflies filled Enid's stomach and Carl's did flips. He was the first to lean in and just as their lips were about to meet their was a cough.

The two teens looked up from each other and saw Michonne. She eyed Carl and almost smirked. Carl's cheeks flushed with embarrassment and he mumbled a goodbye and practically ran out.

"Ahh. I won't ask. I don't need any more information like this. I hear enough from Maggie and Glenn." Michonne joked and rolled her eyes as she sat next to Enid.

The younger girl shifted uncomfortably in her seat and turned to the older woman in her cell. After a few minutes of awkward silence Michonne spoke up.

"Enid. I want you to know no one looks at you differently after today," Enid was  already subconsciously rolling her eyes. She got it. No one cared about her stupid issues with her dad and his friends. "Johnny got what he deserved." The ending surprised Enid. She didn't even think that anyone would treat her differently after that. Johnny had what was coming to him. "That boy was sick and needed to die. Every single one of us went in there with the intentions of killing. All you gotta worry about is you. Not the past or those who hurt you. You're loved ones are here, especially Carl, and I'm here. We make one big, twisted family but it counts nonetheless. You're allowed to look weak in front of us. That's what families do. We help build each other up. You're as strong as they come and I don't want your fire going out. You gotta give it oxygen and you've gotta feed it for it to stay alive. You can't just expect the flames to become bigger if you suffocate it of all its needs. Remember that Enid."

Enid shot up and hugged Michonne. The two stayed like that for what seemed like hours. Once Michonne left, Enid laid down and let her words really sink in.

Feed the fire. Don't let it burn out. Enid realized that she needed the fire. Not just for herself. But for everyone. The fire was needed to warm everyone around her. To help protect, and guided them through the darkness.

Enid was going to keep that fire no matter what.

But sadly, once it rains one too many times that fire goes out for good.