Thirty Two - Turning Over a New Leaf

"Honey, I don't think it's necessary for you to be living here anymore."

I gawked, looking up at my dad. "Really?"

He nodded. "You've already overstayed an extra year than expected, and I've finally finished that business project in the Netherlands, so we can go look for a new home."

My dad and I sat in the lounge together, chatting. I told him about how Finn mentioned he was going to propose to Rosie, and he told me all about his time in the Netherlands.

I fist pumped the air in excitement. Finally! All this Finn drama has been driving me insane. Maybe this will help me forget about him and move on.

The curiosity inside me burst out. "But why do you want to leave now? Did Steven say something? Did F-"

"Steven will probably protest when I tell him." He chuckled and shook his head. "But the real reason I want to move so soon is because I don't want you to feel this way."

"What do you mean?"

"All I want for you is to be happy. When we're here, it's so painful for you, and when it hurts you, it hurts me." My dad sighed, looking into my green eyes. I gazed up at him, giving him a sad smile as he continued. "You're all I have left, honey. I...I don't want you to see Finn anymore. I don't want you to be harassed any longer. Your broken heart won't heal if you stay."

I looked out at the window, watching the sun set. Dad was right, except my body was on two different sides. My brain said yes but my heart said no, and it hurt.

"I want you married and with little children running everywhere. I want you to be happy." He got up from the lounge and pressed a kiss to my forehead. "Go to sleep, honey. I love you."

~~~

I thought about what everyone said to me over the last two days as I showered the next day. What Tori said, what Ashley yelled, and what my dad advised. I was still caught up in a jumble of confusion. They say the heart wants what it wants, but is what you want necessarily what you need?

Man, shower thoughts are intense.

I dried my hair after a quick rinse and picked up my phone, trilling in my palm.

Incoming call: Austin <3

I picked it up. "Hey Austin."

"Hey, Soph! I haven't seen you in so long!" he said cheerfully. "I've missed you."

I blushed. He was so thoughtful. "Aw, I've missed you too! Sorry I didn't call over the last few months..." I felt incredibly guilty. My phone was off for the most of the time I spent by Steven's hospital bed, and Austin sent me a text about how he'd been busy with school, tryouts and other stuff a few weeks later. Wow. That seems like forever ago. "But, how are things?"