Not So Classical - Chapter 1

Chapter I: Overture to their Flight

[Meaning: Introduction to an opera or other large musical work]

The rain fell in a flood from the sky. The storm was a tremendous thing and only two humans were outside to witness it. Thunder bellowed overhead, an aide-mémoire to all with common sense to not brave its fury. One of the two laughed, whirling around on the spot with a huge grin in place and grey eyes that reflected the stormy sky. Lightning crackled and lit up the sky in a blinding brilliance. The companion to the grey-eyed person smiled softly; normally he was the one who saw the unpretentious joy in everything even if he wasn't as animated as his grey-eyed, red-haired friend was.

Thunder boomed and roared; growling at enemies and lightning hissed and illuminated the sky, blinding all those who dared look at it. The rain continued plummeting in sheets, icy cold but welcoming to the two being's hot skin. The second being laughed, his eyes – dark blue like the sky at night – glimmered and his friend beamed fiercely, teeth glinting and lips pulled up as far as possible.

The first being who laughed, let his loud guffaws fade to soft chortles as he smiled at his friend. He could understand what his friend saw in life so easily right now. He turned his grey eyes, bright with life, to his friend's dark eyes that smiled at everyone and everything and drew people into their warmth. The wind howled around them, wrenching on the long red-hair of the male and whipping around the loose plait.

The dark-blue eyed male's own black hair was less long, but not tied up, so the wind tugged on that too. The dark-haired male, Aaron if he were to go by his name, raised his head to look at the sky. It was irresolvable to tell if it were day or night, the stormy sky was that obscure. However, Aaron didn't care about the time, nor did he care about the rain pelting down on his face and body, cooling him but making him freeze at the same time. Aaron ran a hand through his hair, the wet hair flattening but at the same time coiling around his fingers.

Daisuke, the red-haired being, looked at his best friend - his brother if not for the blood that divided them. Aaron caught his gaze, dark eyes knowing and sparkling with happiness, because it was over and done and they had won. Daisuke found his cheeks sore from his wide smile. For now, he could ignore what tomorrow would bring and how everything would seem in the sunlight. He could ignore it because he was in the now and alive and not alone and that was enough. Aaron, with his impeccable awareness of what someone was thinking, crossed the meagre gap between the two and draped one arm around his friend's shoulders. It wasn't a hug but it was close enough and it held more meaning than a simple hug. It was an understanding and a joy, filled with sadness and misery but at peace and hopeful. It held so many things and neither could describe it, but it existed and that was enough.

Daisuke let himself relax into Aaron's arm, his fingers lifted towards his mouth in preparation to whistle, despite the loud thunder. However, before Daisuke had the chance, two other creatures seemed to appear out of the darkness, wild and free in the abysmal storm. The four-legged creatures stopped in front of the pair of humans, dark brown eyes glinting in the poor light.

Aaron allowed himself a soft grin, welcoming the two into the small group in the storm. One of the horses, for that's what the creatures were, snorted, and pranced over to Daisuke. The black battle mare – for with her long but strong legs, muscled chest and neck, stocky head and powerful hindquarters could not be anything less – snuffled Daisuke's hands as he stroked her head soothingly. The mare was taller than the other horse, and her black clipped coat gleamed in the rain.

The other horse half-reared and bumped Aaron with his head gently. Aaron ran his hand down the smaller stallion's neck, fingers making their way through the bushy, unruly fur softly. The stallion was a chestnut and looked fairly odd standing next to the tall battle mare. The stallion had a small head, but a thick neck followed by a large chest and wide girth. The stallion's legs were smaller than his friend's were and they were thicker. The fur of the stallion was long and he still had his winter coat, and his mane was half-curled and wiry unlike the black mare who had straight and thin mane.