Chapter 54. Hellfire

A/N: SENSITIVE CONTENT

Chapter54. Hellfire

Leaving my parent's home without their consent was a choice I wish I didn't have to make. It wasn't like I woke up that morning and decided to go. It had been a long time in the making. Years, months, days, and seconds thinking, over analyzing, beating myself up. Between me and Bernadette, she'd always been better at making choices. She had this crazy technique involving a coin flip. "I saw it on the internet once," she said, rolling a coin on her knuckles. "When you have to make a hard decision, all you have to do is toss a coin."

I watched her flip the silver. It stayed in the air for a brief moment before gravity did its job. Bern caught it with a swift movement just as I was about to wonder which side was which. She opened her fingers slowly, as if performing a magic trick. "You'll know what you're rooting for when it's in the air. Trust me, Mars. That's why I don't have trouble choosing. I just enjoy the outcome." And all the consequences that came with it, I thought. Her choices always, always had dire aftermaths that got her, well me, in trouble. I had to clean up after her so she'd still be in good graces with our parents.

Though never envious of my sister, I wish choosing was that easy for me. At present, I kept my eyes on the bed, not quite looking at Alya, not quite acknowledging Lilith either. Alya sensed that I was having a hard time. Somehow we were connected in such ways that I never could understand. She stood by my side, putting a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Lilith," I said weakly. It was strange to hear my voice in total contradiction with the strong race of my heart. "Please tell Red that I need to meet with her later."

"About what?" she asked, not leaving her spot. Lilith was always eager to know everything. It was one of the qualities that drew me to her. Ever the inquisitive. Ever the curious cat. "They don't know about your situation. I covered it up like you told me."

"I have new developments on the thing we're searching for," I lied. "This is Red's area of expertise. We're not sure if the communication in our email is compromised. You're the only one I trust enough to deliver the news." Did I sound convincing? Alya squeezed my shoulder for support.

"I don't want to leave your side. You've just woken after days." She exhaled. "But if there's no other way, I'm on it." Lilith went to the door. I memorized her features even while she had her back turned. It might be the last time. My throat constricted. Where was Bernadette's coin when I needed it? "No funny business while I'm away, Alya," she said.

Convinced that it was safe to talk, I finally tore my gaze from the door, straight to hazel ones. How peculiar it was to be looking at the past and present through blurry eyes. She had been the girl in my dreams for the last few days, different as her face was. "You did the right thing, getting her to leave," Alya said. "She will get in the way." The pang in my heart quickly disappeared as Alya went down on her knee and put her head on my lap. "I was so lonely," she murmured. "But those days are gone now. I'll help you return. We'll do spectacular things together, you and I. We'll go soon."

I brushed the hair away from her face. "Go where?"

"Anywhere you want to except here. The days of pretense are over. We're not like them. We're destined for greater things. My parent's security will not hold me back any longer, neither will I let them protect me. From this day onward, we'll stay with each other, build a new life. If we have to unlock the past, we'll do it. You love me, don't you?" She raised her eyes to meet mine. I nodded, creating a huge gash in my chest. Alya took my face in her hands, sealing the gash again, making me whole. Would it be like this from now on, me getting wounded while she healed me? Would discovering my past make me forget my future?

"Come here," she said. "I'll help you up." Alya slung my arm over her and carefully assisted me to a standing position. I groaned, the muscles on my arms and feet protesting, especially my stomach. I hadn't used my body in a while. "The poison is completely eradicated," she assured. "You're just feeling the after effects. Once we're out of the Academy, I'll nurse you back to health."