Chapter 66. Wretched

Chapter66. Wretched

It took Lilith a total of five minutes to leave and come back with a medicine kit. Her uniform, though torn and ruffled at some parts was spotless before she left. Now it was covered in green slime, oozing down her legs to her boots, making every step she took sound with a 'splish-splash.' She shook it off before reaching us, but the rotten stench lingered.

Blue pinched her nose. "You missed a spot," she said, pointing to Lilith's hair.

Lilith wrinkled her nose and oscillated her head like a dog shaking water from its fur. "There's a huge blob in there," she began, as if that would explain the mess. Lilith circled her finger in the air when she was done. "Turn around, Barnaby. I'm going to bandage Tart's wound." Irritation flashed in Blue's face, but when her eyes flickered on my stomach, her shoulders dropped, and she turned around without saying anything. Lilith focused her attention to me. "Let's remove your clothes."

"Okay." I exhaled. My arms were like lead when I raised them to make things easier for her.

"That won't do," Lilith said with a shake of her head. "We need to snip everything off."

"What will I wear?" I said.

Blue tilted her head to investigate. "How is it?" she asked.

Lilith shoved her face away. "I said turn around, Barnaby. I'll handle this." When Blue was back to staring at the wall, Lilith unbuttoned her own uniform and shrugged them off. Underneath was a white t-shirt. "The slime didn't get to it," she said to me. "You can use it in the meantime." Though I was used to seeing her topless, appreciation still rolled down my spine when she removed the t-shirt. "Lie down, baby."

The tiles were cold against my back. I trained my eyes on the ceiling as she snipped the scarf so I wouldn't see the wound. "Ouch!" I winced.

"Sorry," she said. "The cloth is stuck to your skin because of dried blood. I'll be more careful."

"How bad is it?" Blue asked without turning.

Lilith didn't answer and pried the remaining cloth. The rest of the task; cleaning the wound, bandaging, and slipping her t-shirt to me, was also done silently. After she fastened the last button of her uniform, she tapped Blue and said, "You can look now." Lilith pocketed the scissor as she stood.

Blue rushed to my side. "Are you alright?" she said.

I nodded and glanced warily at Lilith. I was worried about her more than myself. Her usual reaction wouldn't be like this. Lilith's eyes were distant when she nudged her chin to the last door of the hallway. "There's a flight of stairs there leading down," she said. "I saw it while searching for the medicine kit. We should take it to get out of here."

"We can't yet," I said.

The vein on her neck bulged. "You're hardly in the condition to walk, let alone stay here for a grand vacation. The island is done for. We either stay here and die, or try to find a way to get across the ocean to safety. Anyone who has a brain in her head would do that, and last time I checked, you're the reasonable one."

"Don't shout at her!" Blue jumped to my rescue.

"I'm not shouting. I'm just expressing my belief in a passionate way!" Lilith yelled. "And don't tell me how to talk to my girlfriend. You know nothing about how I feel. Compared to you, I wouldn't think twice about saving her."

Blue pivoted and seized Lilith's collar. "That's because you're selfish," she said. "I thought about everyone's safety while making that decision."