Chapter 41. Admission

Chapter41. Admission

No one lives forever. Therefore, struggle for existence. The rebus- a puzzle that consisted of symbols, pictures, and numbers was easy to solve. The underlying meaning, however, was a different story. "Stop," I said, grabbing Alya's hand. "Do you know something that we don't? Red is right. You're awfully good at this. I didn't want to question you earlier because the others were listening, but since it's just the two of us now, you might as well spill."

She glanced at me over her shoulder. That hazel eyes of hers didn't give me a hint. Not even one. "It is what it is," she said. "You have to find out for yourself. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go back to my room and rest. I've never felt this exhausted."

I tightened my grip on her. "What about the series of codes that Glitters, I meant the woman who showed up after we solved the puzzle gave us? Do you understand those? Please, we need all the help we can get."

Her lips showed a hint of a smile. "I'd love to help you. Unfortunately, I didn't live long enough to be able do so. But who knows?" I dropped her hand. Was she on drugs? "Listen to what the woman in the chamber said," Alya reiterated. "No one lives forever. I'm going to enjoy my existence from now on. No holds barred." She stepped away from me. "Oh and Mars?"

I frowned. "Yeah?"

"I apologize for anything I might do in the future."

What did she mean by that? I buried my face on the pillow and groaned. Alya was being Alya as usual. I turned on my bed and read the paper again and again until the words held no meaning. I've written it down, together with the new code that Glitters gave.

"Attention," the headmaster's voice said. I sat straighter. Could everyone hear that? "All students who are participating in the competition are required to go to the holding area immediately. The next challenge is about to begin. Sorry for springing it before you had your breakfast. To be fair, I only had tea myself. And one more thing before I end this message. The investigation for the release of the Hydra VR is in its late stages. Whoever made that joke last week will be punished accordingly. That will be all."

On my way to the holding area, I bumped into Blue. "Did you know that there will be a challenge today?" I asked. "A warning would have been great."

She quickened her steps so she could keep up with me. "No I didn't," she admitted. "Red wasn't informed too. The headmaster made the decision on her own. Usually, she'd tell it to the technical team two or three weeks before, so we could prepare. Maybe she's testing us in a way."

"Or maybe she didn't want information to leak. Sorry," I apologized to another student going the other way. I was walking so fast that I almost collided with her. "Anyway," I said to Blue. "You should go and do your duty. I don't want the headmaster to get mad at you."

"Do you promise to talk later? I have something important to say."

I glanced sideward at her. "What is it about?"

Her dimples showed when she smiled. "Later."

I couldn't help but smile too. It looked like she was in a good mood after weeks of sour graping about me and El. "Okay. Wish me luck."

The other competitors were already there when I descended the stairs. The holding area looked very much like the aircraft hangar that it was- vast, clean, and modern. I searched for familiar faces and saw Stacey talking with her friends. Candice still loathed her for some reason. I myself didn't like the girl. She could be the person who killed our friend. Speaking of Candice, she was nowhere in sight. Maybe she was farther along the holding area, flirting with a girl. Red would be fuming mad by now.