Abhi Toh Party Shuru Hui Hai

As soon as I entered my cabin,
I was astonished to say the least.

A loud "Happy Birthday" reached my ears. I momentarily shut my ears with my hands but the smile didn't fade away from my face. In front of me stood Lalita and Ram, my school friend Aradhna and Shraddha, Mr Singh, my cute little patients and my other best friend Vishakha and oh my God, there stood my father who I hadn't seen from so many months. I covered my mouth with my hands, my eyes wide. The shock didn't seem to fade. It wasn't until Lalita and Vishakha held my hand and shook me onto reality.

Lalita crashed her weight on me, taking me into a tight bear hug. I grinned and hugged her back.
Next came Vishakha and she hugged me the same way.

"Vikhu" I murmured happily and she kissed my cheek. From the corner of my eyes I could see Lalita pouting. I figured she was jealous. I gave Vishakha one last hug and turned to my side to face Lalita who was still pouting. Immediately I cupped her face in my hands and smacked her cheek with a loud and sloppy kiss and she scrunched her nose in disgust. But her pout had been replaced with a cheeky smile and well that's what all matters.

I then ran to my father. "Papa" I exclaimed and hugged the life out of him."I missed you so much" I said. "Happy Birthday Beta. How are you? I thought what's better then a birthday to go and see my Radhe" He said and kissed my head and I smiled too. "I really missed you" I said again and he laughed. "Ofcourse you'd miss me. There would have been no one here to call you 'Radhe' right? "He asked and laughed and I could hear Dk clearing his throat in the background.

Next came Mr. Singh who smiled and caressed my head. "Happy birthday, beta. May you get all the hapiness in the world" He said as a blessing and I smiled gratefully.

Next came Ram "Happy Birthday Radhika"  he said and extended his arm to give me a sideways hug but before he could even reach me Dk came in between.
"Well I think it's time to cut the cake. Right Radhe? " He stated and turned to me with a frown on his face. I nodded slowly and his frown immediately got replaced with a smile. "Yes, cake cutting, Finally. " The children exclaimed and happily and everyone laughed.

The room filled with chorus of "Happy birthday to you"  and "tum jio hazaro saal" simultaneously. And I laughed at this bilingual celebration.

I blew the candles and took the plastic knife and called all the kids. They gathered around me and kept there hands on mine and we all cut the cake. There was an echo of claps and laughter and the room felt hundred times brighter with all the happy faces.

Everyone handed me some gifts.
Lalita gave me the quotation book which I always loved to read in the library but could never issue it because of the librarian. I smiled at how well she knew me. Vishakha gave me a photo frame with our college picture in it. Probably the best days of my life.

I refused to take anything from my father or Mr. Singh because they were elder and all I needed were their blessings. Ram gave me diary telling me to write all my good and bad thoughts in that. I smiled at the noble thought. All the children gave me handmade cards and I gave them a group hug.

And well Dk, Dk just winked and got busied in feeding cake to all the children. He made all kids to sit in a row on chairs and one by one he handed a plate full of cake to kids and then fed them. They all were so happy and were clapping while enjoying the cake.

I smiled after seeing such an endearing sight.

"He's sweet right? " A voice asked me from my right and I nodded absent-mindedly.