Letting Love Die

Erza's P.O.V.

"He did WHAT?" Lucy cried out in an appalled fit.

"He..." I breathed out, the weight against my chest seeping further and further inside of me. Jellal broke up with me a few hours ago... But the tears hadn't subsided yet. I felt exhausted. I felt betrayed. I felt so tired, and empty, and... 

alone. 

I couldn't bring myself to complete the sentence a second time to Lucy. Even though she was one of my best friends, the amount of pressure that was consuming me... It made it too difficult to maintain a conversation with her.

I drew in air that felt as thick as water. In a sense, I felt like I was drowning in this disastrous catastrophe of a break up.

"Erza..." I felt Lucy staring at me as she gently spoke to me. I looked up to see her sympathetic expression waiting for me, "I've never seen you like this before," She held one of my hands in between hers, "I was really surprised when you came to me."

"I didn't know anyone else who would understand how I'm feeling," I admitted, using my free hand to wipe my eyes. 

This was, without a doubt, the kind of heartache I'd read about in novels.

I always assumed the characters were  too emotional or dramatic when they explained how they felt. I didn't know that the pain, or rather agony, would be this bad.

"Well, Natsu won't be back in the room for the rest of the day. He's off training for some big battle that Jellal-the-jerk told him about. So that means that today we have all the time in the world to relax and-"

"'Big battle'?" I interrupted her, "What did Jellal say about a battle?"

"Erza you should be more concerned about yourself at this point, you shouldn't worry yourself any more than-"

"Lucy, please! If Jellal is throwing himself at Asmodai again, I need to know. He could be in serious danger!" I grasped onto her, begging her for information. I was truly a wreck.

"All I know is what Natsu told me! Jellal told him that tomorrow morning we're packing up and headed towards the dark guild hall. He told Natsu that it would be a difficult battle and that he should prepare for it well. That's all I know," She raised her hands up in defense.

I let go of her as my shaky hands lingered in the space between us, "Tomorrow... Morning?" I repeated in disbelief. 

There was no possible way that we could prepare enough in time to face Asmodai. If there's even a dozen wizards as strong as Tick in her guild, we're in for more than a loosing fight. We'd be running to our deaths.

Jellal isn't only risking his own life, but now he's risking the lives of my guild members- no- my friends. Did he even think about Meldy? About her head injury from the last sparring with The Damned? Or was he too busy being blatantly selfish to think about that?

"That complete moron," I growled through gritted teeth as I got up from my seat on Lucy's bed.

"Erza please don't try to do anything- we can always talk it out with him lat-"

"Leaving me clearly wasn't enough to satisfy him. I could take the heartache, but I can't take him risking your lives. I'm sorry, Lucy."

I ran towards the door and threw it open as I fled into the hall. I sprinted down the stairs and out of the lobby, which led me into the streets. I paused for a moment, thinking about the places Jellal would be. 

There weren't too many places nearby, but farther away I knew there'd be a few he'd think about going to. He could use his meteor spell to get there in just a few minutes, while it would take me a few hours.