Chapter 66

Kandii struggled into Devin's black Escalade.  She wondered when he had it.  He had to of being do well to afford a beauty like this.  She got as comfortable as her body would allow her.  

Devin had already hooked the car seat into the back.  The baby seemed to be doing well.  Kandii had fed him and changed his diaper.  They were out of the house within 30 minutes of Sharron's departure.

Kandii felt awkward calling Pauline and asking her if she had the room for two adults and an infant but Pauline was so happy to hear from Kandii that she agreed.  

"All settled?"  Devin asked as he tossed the last bag into the back.

"Yes."

Devin climbed in and punched in Kandii's friend’s address.  With luck, the trip would only take them 30 minutes.  He was not familiar with the area that she lived in but he was good with directions.

"Devin?'

"Yes?

He backed out of her driveway slowly and turned on her street.

"I think we need to stop at a store. Somewhere along the way."

Devin sighed.  He did not want to stop he just wanted to get to where they were going.  

"Kandii why can’t we wait?"

"The baby needs formula Devin and some diapers.  He only has two left in the diaper bag and the can of formula if empty."

"Okay, well once were closer well stop at a store."

Satisfied with his answer Kandii leaned back and got comfortable.

"You know what I read?”

"No what did you read?"  He asked as he turned onto the highway.

"Well I read that a diaper bag is like an extension of you and that it needs to be fully equipped.  I noticed that your diaper bag is bare.  Don’t you think you need more things?"

She turned in her seat and looked at him.

Devin looked at her briefly.

"What’s missing out the bag?"

She laughed.  "Everything!"

"There's no thermometer, no diaper rash cream.  You don't have any nail clippers or baby wipes.  The nose suction thing... a few outfits, baby bath, lotion, powder, and a brush.  A towel and a washcloth.  Extra shoes and socks."

..."And you mean to tell me that you will carry all that around in a bag?"

"Well yea and don't forget about the baby cereal or food and formula, depending on the baby's age.  You need these things."  She nodded her head as if she was in agreement with herself.

"You don't need all of that," He chuckled.

"When would you ever need all of that crap?

 I bet your diaper bag will weight fifty pounds!"

She smirked.  "For starters we could have used the equipped diaper bag today.  Oh and my diaper bag weighs twelve pounds.  Fully equipped.  See I had read that it..."

She stopped speaking when she noticed that he was staring at her.  She blushed.

"What?  Why are you looking at me like that Devin?"

"It’s just... you’re so different now…I can’t. I've never pictured you a Mother before and here you are a walking baby dictionary."

"I read allot," she mumbled.