chapter thirty-one

I was lying with my head resting on Brendon's chest and I could hear his heartbeat, for the first time since I met him his heart beat seemed so steady.

"Well, that was new," I said breaking the silence. Brendon laughed a little and I couldn't help but smile at the sound. It was such a genuine laugh and I was so glad I could hear it. I sat up holding the covers over my body. "Can I use a shirt?" I asked.

"Top drawer," he said pointing to the dresser.

I kicked my legs over the side of the bed and stood up. I was only in my panties and I walked to the dresser making sure to keep my back to Brendon the whole time.

"You know I've seen you naked," he said.

"I know, but this is how it goes in movies," I said laughing. I pulled a white shirt over my head and then turned back to bed. I crawled up to him and wrapped my legs around him and placed a light kiss on his plump lips. I pulled away for a second and scrunched my face together. "Do you smell that?" I asked concerned.

"Sex?" he asked.

"No, it smells like somethings burning," I said standing up.

"THE NOODLES!" we both yelled running to the kitchen.

The entire kitchen was covered in smoke and the noodles we were supposed to have for dinner were burnt to a crisp and stuck to the pot.

"So I guess we're having Thai food tonight," Brendon said opening the window in attempt to air the smoke out.

"Don't you have smoke alarms?" I asked laughing.

"No, I disconnected them because they went off every time I lit a cigarette," he said like it was no big deal. I shook my head and laughed at him.

"You're an idiot," I said laughing as I kissed him. "But you're my idiot."

"Have I ever told you how beautiful you are?" he said quietly.

"More often than not."

"I'm sorry if it gets annoying; I just feel like you never believe me and I just want you to know I feel so lucky to have you."

"I'm the lucky one," I said pausing. "You picked me out of a sea of girls for some odd reason."

"Fate."

We stayed silent for a bit and I grabbed his camera off the counter and snapped a quick picture of the moment: the smoke surrounding Brendon, the apron lying on the counter, the poor pot of what was supposed to be our dinner on the stove and the small ray of light the shined through the window. The moment was a mess but it was a beautiful mess. Brendon leaned in and kissed me and I pulled away a little.

"About that Thai food," I said smiling into our kiss.

Eventually the smoke cleared out of the apartment and we were able to clean up most of the mess. There was no saving the pot though so sadly we had to toss it in the trash. Only Brendon, one of the best cooks I've known, could burn pasta noodles. I didn't even know that was possible. I could only laugh at the memory thinking back to the fact that the entire kitchen could have been in flames and we wouldn't have known because we were having sex. Life is crazy sometimes. Brendon's crazy sometimes.

We ended up spending the rest of the night chilling on the couch with eating our takeout, which was amazing. I was glad we ended up getting that instead of having burnt Macaroni. We both fell asleep about halfway through Elf. We were pretty exhausted after all.