chapter fifty-seven

The ride home was painfully silent. No one else said a word, I don't think anyone knew what to say. I had my head laid on Hannah's lap in the back and she combed through my hair, once it was combed through nicely she braided it for me. The radio played quiet jazz music in the background and every once in while I would see Brendon and Ryan look at each other but never for more than a few moments.

When we got back into town I realized we weren't going back to mine and Hannah's house.

"Where are we going?" Hannah asked confused.

"My place, just for now," Brendon said without turning around.

"No, she should go home. With me. She's obviously had a rough day, she deserves to be in her bed,"' Hannah said angrily.

"Hannah, please," Ryan said looking at her through the review mirror. She rolled her eyes and then looked down at me as if to say "I'm sorry." I just shook it off and tried to make sense of everything in my head.

We pulled into the parking lot of Brendon's and we all got out. We walked inside quietly and all gathered on the couch in the living room.

"So, does someone want to explain what the fuck is going on?" Hannah asked obviously annoyed.

"Hannah," I said placing my hand on her thigh. She nodded and sat back a little bit.

"I mean," she cleared her throat. "What happened?"

"Alex," Brendon paused. I looked up at him trying my hardest to keep tears back. Brendon was my rock, even when I didn't want him to be. He was and somehow I knew he always would be. "I need you to tell me what happened." I shuddered a bit and then took a deep breath.

"You're going to make her relive whatever she just got put through? Wise fucking choice Urie!" Hannah said with disgust.

"No," I said calmly. "It's fine." The three of them looked at me and I sighed. "Where do you want me to start?"

"What happened from the moment you left Ryan's up until right now."

I started my story with everything that happened. Josh and I on the couch watching tv, going out star gazing falling asleep, the little freak out I had, meeting his dad, everything.

"And then when we got to his house he showed me his room and we," I paused and looked at Brendon who knew what I was going to say but I just couldn't pull myself to say it to him. "We played video games all night until we fell asleep," I lied. Brendon sat down on the couch across from me and put his face in his hands because he knew that's not had what happened. If it was, I wouldn't have ended up at a gas station in Josh's shirt and just my underwear. Everything was kind of quiet and both Ryan and Hannah looked between Brendon and I.

"What about this morning?" Brendon finally said.

"Um, well, I woke up and then Josh woke up. He went to take a shower I checked my phone and then as I was going to call you Ryan texted me one last time then I called and you told me to leave," I swallowed. "Um, then I heard a car pull up and I thought it was you but instead it was," I paused. Hannah looked at me as if waiting to hear the answer. "Um, it was," I paused again.

"Spencer?" Brendon asked. I nodded slowly. Brendon closed his eyes and cracked his neck.

"And there were two other boys, I didn't see them but I heard their voices," I sighed. "So anyways, after I saw, him, I got up and ran towards Josh's room and popped the screen out. I heard the front door open but before I heard anyone come inside I jumped out the window, as I started running I heard the two boys behind me. I heard one say "That's her!" and I don't know what that means, but he said it. And they ran after me for quite some time. Then I made it into the gas station and then you picked me up and now I'm here." I finished my story out of breath.

Ryan looked at Brendon with sad eyes and Brendon just stared at the ground. Hannah looked between all three of us.

"So, um, do we get a fucking explanation or something?" she asked standing up.

"What do you want to know?" Brendon asked still focused on the ground.

"Are you stupid?" Hannah laughed. "I want to know why my friend was being chased through the fucking woods in her underwear!" Hannah yelled.

"Well, she didn't have to be in her underwear," Brendon said plainly. "But I can't tell you the rest."

"Wow what a load of help you are!" Hannah screamed.

"Han," I said grabbing her hand. She ripped it out of mine and walked over towards Brendon.

"Look at me when I talk to you," she demanded. Brendon looked up at her emotionlessly. "You're going to tell me right now what kind of stupid shit is going on right now or so help me Brendon my hand will smack your face harder than anything you've ever experienced in your life."

"Hannah, if I could. I would tell you, you've got to trust me on that," he said sadly. Ryan and I looked between the two of them and you could cut the tension with a knife. After about a minute of Hannah glaring at him she raised her hand and slapped Brendon straight across the face.

"Hannah!" I yelled standing up. Ryan reached over and grabbed her tightly but she got out of his grip.

"Brendon you have fucked up this girls life more than anyone ever possibly could or should! What the hell is wrong with you? You can't even shed some light on the reason as to why MY BEST FRIEND was being chased out of her boyfriends house by two boys under the apparent order of "Spencer?" How can you live with yourself?" she yelled louder now.

"Hannah," I said calmly.

"Don't "Hannah" me, I'm angry! Aren't you a little angry?" she screamed at me. I sat down at her tone and blinked a few tears out of my eyes.

"Yes, of course I am. But I think I trust him," I said as I stuttered over the word trust.

"You trust him?" she said in disbelief. Everyone looked at me surprised even Brendon.

"I really don't want to talk about this right now, we have school tomorrow," I said trying to change the subject.

"Alex shouldn't go home," Ryan said standing up.

"And why not?" Hannah asked sassily.

"Because, Home is the first place they would go, haven't you seen movies?" Ryan said a little snappy back at Hannah.

"I think Alex should stay here," Brendon spoke up calmly.

Hannah let out a single laugh and clapped her hands together. "Do I have to slap you again?" she asked.

"No, I think that's a good idea," Ryan said shrugging. He backed away from Hannah obviously scared of how she would react.

"Well then, if Alex stays here, so do I," she stated as she sat herself cross legged in the middle of the living room.

"Hannah, I'm fine, go out with Dallon. Get your mind off this please," I said speaking up.

"Alex, I don't want to leave you alone with him," she argued.

"I'm fine, I'm a big girl," I said a little annoyed at how she was babying me.

"And see what happened last time you said you were a big girl?" she said. Immediately she realized what she had said and she ran over to me. "Can you two like, give us a minute please." The two boys got up and headed towards the kitchen and Hannah looked at me. "I didn't mean it like that. It's just Alex, I'm scared, I'm just as clueless as you are and I just want you to be safe." I pulled her into a hug.

"I promise you, I'm going to be fine," I whispered in her ear.

She pulled away and looked me deep in the eyes. She let out a sigh and stood up.

"Okay. Ryan? Can you take me to Dallon's?" she asked. Ryan nodded frantically and they both said their goodbyes to Brendon and I. Before the door shut behind them I heard Hannah under her breathe say, "Brendon if she comes back damaged you will be unrecognizable in the matter of three minutes."

The house stayed silent after the door shut. I could tell this was about to be a long night.

-------------------------

Do you want another update tonight or would you prefer i wait?