Chapter 4 - Pleading For Safety

I stood open mouthed and shaking. I didn't know what to do. This was my only hope that kept me going but at that moment I felt like a shooting target.

I put my hands in the air and dropped my knife. It fell to the ground with a clank and I stood there, eyes wide.

"Look, I'm not a threat, I just saw this place and well, saw hope" I said to him with a pleading look.

His eyes panned down to my belt that held the rest of my knifes. I sighed and unclipped it. I retrieved the knife from the floor and slid them both under the wire fence.

He lowered the gun, to my relief, and picked up my knifes. And examined each pocket. He got to the holster where there was meant to be a pistol.

He raised one eyebrow, which as a result became hidden behind his brown, messy hair.

"It wasn't in there when I found it," I informed him.

He looked at me in disbelief. Did he seriously think I was lying?

"Are you being serious?.... Please just let me in and I'll let you pat me down if you really have to." At this point I was desperate. This was my only chance of being somewhat safe for once.

He raised his gun back up to my face.

Is this kid joking? What the heck am I going to do? Right now I'm defenceless and he thinks I'm gonna shoot him with an imaginary gun.

"Dude.." I pleaded "Please, I'm begging, just let-"

I whipped my head round as the door behind me rattled angrily. The things outside must have been pressing their entire body weight against the wood at this point, aggressively shaking it to reach their dinner.

I began to shake in fear. I walked up to the wire fence in front of me, let the boys riffle meet me face directly and pleaded.

"Please!" I said firmly, with a look of despair.

He sighed and then proceeded to open the gate and let me in. He'd given in. I thanked him multiple times but I think he just ignored me.

"Come with me, I need to go find my dad." He said in a stern voice. Just by the tone of his voice I could tell he had to grow up a lot faster than kids should. We already had that in common. I didn't really want to imagine what he'd been through to get here, anything could have happened now-a-days.

We walked up a court yard. There were people sitting around a table, just as I had saw from that tree. Children playing down by a fence. Not to mention the rather large farm, filled to the brim with vegetables and fruits all growing in neat rows.

A panned over to what looked like a small hut with a low fence surrounding it. I stood up lightly on my tiptoes.

I recognised a small pink blob laying in the shade casted by the hut.

"You have have piggies!!" I squealed with delight, trying to lighten the tension between us as we walked.

The boy giggled a contagious laugh, making me laugh as well.

"I'm Leigh, by the way." I said turning to him, smiling.

He looked over to me.

"Carl," He smiled back at me.

To be honest, now that he wasn't pointing a riffle at my face, he seemed kind of sweet.