Chapter 21 - Away From The Wreckage

Glenn's plan, for others, may have almost taken the title of stupidest plan ever, yet it was so fucking brilliant I couldn't fault it. And I mean, it was the only plan of getting out that prison.

Glenn got into his riot gear and I gathered all the supplies I could find (weapons, food, stuff like that).

Glenn re-entered the cell, decked out in riot gear, you might have actually thought he was riot police. But his eyes looked puffy and red as if he'd been crying.

"Are you okay?" I questioned, still packing stuff into the bag.

"Yeah, fine. Just really hope this works, you know?" he replied as he pulled a small smile over his face.

We exchanged nods as if to say we were both ready. I swung the orange bag over my shoulder, grabbed the largest knife I had, and followed Glenn out. 

We were almost outside when Glenn stopped and looked at me. This is where Glenn's plan would come in.

Turns out I was pretty light. Probably shouldn't be proud of that, it most likely meant I was underweight.

Just before we entered the mass field of walkers Glenn lifted me up onto his shoulders. He hugged my legs as tight as he could, but still held a large gun in his hands. Its kinda funny looking back, just imagining a riot officer with a 15-year-old girl sitting on his shoulders.

As soon as I was safely on, he rushed out. 

Walkers surrounded us, as expected. None were able to bite Glenn as he was covered and most of my body was too high to reach. I feared greatly for my legs, however.

As the walkers got close, I stabbed down into their heads with my knife. Their bodies fell, taking down a few other walkers with them, making the path a lot clearer for Glenn to get through.

Glenn kept running with walkers trailing a few feet behind us. But then, he suddenly stopped, turning to the side. I had no clue what he saw but he ran no more than a foot more before turning back.

That's when I saw her. A woman, around the age of Maggie, just sitting there, drinking from a glass bottle. She was safe, no walkers could get to her, but she didn't look like she was planning on leaving. And Glenn, being the kind-hearted soul he is, couldn't just let her stay.

We found our way into the little enclosed area she was in and Glenn let me down from his shoulders. 

Glenn began talking to the woman. I didn't really listen, I was too busy looking over the wreckage that was once my home. For the time it was my home, It was the best home I'd ever had.

I was pulled away from my deep thoughts when Glenn said we were leaving. I figured I was walking as he definitely wasn't gonna carry us both and he had taken initiative and made a  distraction by setting a nearby car on fire with the woman's alcohol, some cloth, and a lighter he had found.

We lined up at the door. "Go... GO. GO. GO" Glenn shouted right before the girl rushed out, closely followed by me, then Glenn.

Most walkers were distracted by either the burning car, or the burning tank, but we either stabbed or shot the rest.

We ran until we were out of the prison, and even then we continued running until we ended up in the forest. We. Just. Kept. Running. We kept running until we lost the few walkers following us. We kept running until we came out of the other side of the forest.

We ended up on a road in the middle of nowhere. The growls had become so faint you could describe them as the sound of someones breathing when they have a cold.

OH MY GOD! We just did that! We made out! WE AREN'T DEAD!