Chapter 12 - Assholes

As I stared down at the line of light, the feet blocking it tapped the floor in their place.

Just by this small movement I could tell the person they belonged to was anxious for some reason.

The feet stood there place for a while before a hand made its way around the curtain and slowly slid it across.

"You're awake?" Carl whispered before stepping in, avoiding the curtain as it fell back down behind him.

A sense of awkwardness rushed over my body. "No shit," I replied letting a slight laugh half way through my words. Carl's shadowed smile was hardly visible, but it was there. "Carl I--"

"I'm sorry." He cut me off, leaving me confused.

"Why are you saying sorry?" I questioned as he placed himself on the bed next to me.

"Because I'm an asshole who questioned your past when I knew nothing..." His eyes drifted to the floor. Wow Carl and that floor must have been great friends by now.

"You're the asshole?" I said firmly, making him look back up at me. "I'm the one who brought it up."

"Yeh, but you didn't know,"

"Neither did you,"

"OK let's just agree we are both assholes."

"Agreed." We both giggled slightly as we stared at each other.

Awkwardness filled the room and almost simultaneously both of us went back to staring at the floor.

Deja vu rushing through the air, the silence was broken by the sound of Carl's voice.

"I don't know why I haven't gotten over it, its been 3 months for Gods sake." He said, raising his voice as he spoke.

"Carl, its been almost a year since my parents died, I still haven't got over it, don't beat yourself up over it. Like I said, you never really get over it." I said, my eyes burning.

I closed my eyes and listened to the sound of Carl shuffling beside me.  Before I could question what he was doing, I felt his arms wrap around my side and pull me closer to him. I edged my way closer to him, taking in his warmth.

I rested my head on his chest, wrapping my arms around his waist. He was quite a bit taller than me, making it easy for him to rest his head on mine.

He played with the split ends of my strawberry blonde hair as we sat like this. His hug was so comforting I don't remember how long it lasted.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I drifted off to sleep in comfort of Carl's arms.

(A/N Sorry for such a slow update and sorry it was so short I just haven't had time to update lately. Anyway..... ITS CHRISTMAS TOMORROW YYAAAAYYYY!!!!😳)