Chapter 25

SHAZRAY'S POV

My head hurts. I've lost my parents without even knowing. My mum? How did she look like? How did she die? Mama Papa I'm sorry. I didn't know the reality. Please forgive me. I'm sorry. Tears roll down my cheeks.

"Why are you crying?" he says. I look at him. "No....." I say. He wipes away the tears. My lips quiver, but I have to become strong. I can't do anything now. My tears won't bring them back.

"Adil...." I say. He hums. "I want to visit my real parents" I say. "At this time?" he says. "I don't care what the time is, I just want to visit them!" I say as I get up. "But it's too late. Look at the fog outside" he says. "Please?" I say. He agrees.

I take the steps carefully. "Where are you going?" she says. "She wants to visit her real parents" Adil says. "In the middle of night?" she says, still looking at me. "Yeah-" Adil is interrupted by his mother. "Shut up! I am talking to her and I want her to reply me" she says, still looking at me. This is strange. Or for me?

"Actually, I am not feeling well and I want to visit them. Maybe this will help my situation...." I explain. "Will you stay at your mother's place?" she says. "No.... But I am not sure...." I say. "I want you to come back right at 8p.m." she says. "Sure?" I say.

Adil leaves the hall. He slams the door behind him, leaving me more confused. I follow him.

I sit in the car. He starts the engine. "What's wrong?" I say. "Nothing" he says. I know he's angry. "Was that her usual behaviour?" I say. "Yes..." he says. He has a strong grip on the steering -which is not usual. "Why is she rude to you.....?" I say. "Because I married you, against her will" He says. "Why did you marry me?" I say. "Because I love you" he says. "But she's your mother..." I say. "I don't care!" He says and his voice breaks. I put my hand on his hand. "I hope, I'll love you enough..." I say and he stops the car.

"I have been tolerating this since January Shazray. And this is more than enough!" He says. "It's okay. I'll help you get through. And one day, your sun's gonna rise Adil. She'll forget everything, because you're her only kid. She loves you so much!" I say. He looks at me in the eyes. "I'm sorry..." he says. "Sorry for what?" I say. "I've not given you a single happy day in your new home. I, even, ruined our wedding night. And, at this time, when you need my support, I myself am broken..." he says. "That's not your fault Adil. It was all destined. I can not get them back, ever now! And, I can only hope that your mother accepts me." I say and give him a smile.

I hear Azan. "It's time to offer prayer" he says as he stops the car. It is too dark outside. He knocks the window. "Come let's offer prayer together. I'll lead you" he says. "But-" he interrupts me and says,"There's no one. The room is empty, don't worry!" I look at him. I am confused not, because of the place I am going to offer prayer at, but because I actually am going to offer prayer. I prayed almost 15 years ago last time. And it's a long time. I've forgotten almost everything....

"Shazray?" He says. I'm taken aback by my thoughts. "What are you thinking about?" He says. Without saying a word, I get out from the car, and follow him. "Here..." he says as he turns the faucet on. Drip drop. I look at the the tiny water droplets which then turn into a beautiful string of water. I then look at him. He's washing his arms. Adil how do you do that?

"Shazray?" He says and I look at him. "What?" I say. "You can not offer prayer..." he says and stops. I look at him. I feel myself turning pale. This is embarrassing. How does he know that I've forgotten everything? "Because of this nail polish. You can't offer prayer...." he says. I'm shocked. Nail polish? Oh yes. "That's normal. I always have my nails painted..." I say. "Don't you offer prayer?" He says. I remain silent. "I'm sorry for that. You can either sit in the car or follow me..." he says as he gets up.