Chapter 3: Begin the Island Challenge

The Next Day

Akihiro stretched as he and Kaimana got out of bed. After their battle with Hau for Tapu Koko, they came home and immediately went to bed.

"Morning, Kaimana..." he yawned, petting his Pokémon's head.

"Pop..." Kaimana followed Akihiro as he got dressed. After the battle, Hala had returned the sparkling stone to him, but as a Z-Ring. He had explained that until Akihiro went on his trials and received Z-Crystals, he and his Pokémon could not use the Z-Ring and its power.

"Ready for some breakfast?" Akihiro picked up Kaimana and the two headed into the kitchen. "Good morning Mom," he said, waving to her as he passed by.

"Good morning!" Ivory replied, turning the TV's volume lower.

"Kaimana, grab your bowl while I grab our food."

"Pop! Popplio!" Kaimana jumped from Akihiro's arms and rushed to get his food bowl. Akihiro grabbed food for himself and his Pokémon and sat down at the table.

"Pop!" Kaimana sat at his feet, waiting patiently for his food.

"Haha, here you go buddy," He poured food into the bowl and the two began to eat.

"Have you packed enough food and water for your adventure?"

"Yes mom. Besides, I'll be able to buy some food if I run out."

After the two finished eating, Akihiro went to grab his bag while Kaimana played with Meowth. He blew some water bubbles out of his nose while Meowth popped them with his claws. Akihiro chuckled when he came out of his room, watching the two Pokémon play.

"Okay, Kaimana," he took out his Poké Ball, "Time to head out." With Kaimana back in his Poké ball, Akihiro waved goodbye to his mother and headed outside. As soon as he did, he saw Lillie standing there, her hand over the doorbell.

"A-Ah..." she backed up, "I was coming to get you... The Professor wanted you to come to his lab. Come with me, please..."

"Oh, wait! Akihiro!" Ivory quickly came out of the house, catching the pair before they left, "I know you have some, but I just wanted to make sure you have enough spending money..."

She handed him some money for his trip. "Thank you, Mom." He smiled, before turning to Lillie, "Oh, Mom, this is my friend Lillie. She works as Prof. Kukui's assistant."

"O-Oh, yes... it's nice to meet you..."

"Nice to meet you too! You can call me Ivory, Lillie!" She shook hands with the blond girl, "Have fun you two!!"

Lillie began walking south of Akihiro's house with him following her. "You... have a nice mother..."

"Yeah..." Akihiro gave a small smile, "Lillie... What kind of Pokémon is Nebby...?"

"...Nebby is known as Cosmog... it's from a far away place, and I just want it to get back to its home..." she turned away from him. "But, other people... they want to use its power for bad things... I won't let that happen..."

'A Pokémon from far away... but where...?'

While they were walking, a bush nearby began to rustle, frightening Lillie. Shortly after, a new Pokémon popped out. "Rock! Rockruff!" It barked at them.

"Whoa..." Akihiro grinned at the Pokémon, "What kind of Pokémon is that?"

"I-it's a Rockruff..." Lillie replied, "It's a Rock-type Pokémon that e-evolves into two forms: Midday o-or Midnight..."