Chapter 48

"You know you can chill now, right?" I looked at Ben with my eyebrows high. 

His gaze was locked to the huge window of my room even tho he moved my bed so no one could see me from the outside, and plus we were locked. 

"If someone's coming I wanna know about their presence before they know about ours." Ben told me not even looking away from the window.

"You're taking this body guard thing too seriously." I said looking at him with a smile. 

The thing about this situation was that I should feel threatened or scared, but I just didn't. No one could see us, and if we kept it down no one will be able to hear us either, and plus, Ben was here too. I felt safe.

"Well, I gotta keep you safe." He insisted. 

"I didn't want you here to be my body guard. I generally wanted to spend time with my boyfriend." I said and he finally looked at me. "If I wanted a body guard I'd ask Sam to stay with me. He may be small, but that fucker won't hesitate to slit your throat if you piss him off."

Ben laughed. "Trust me I know." He finally came towards me and sat on a chair next to my bed. 

"I know you know." I smiled at him finally being able to look at his eyes.

"Back when we first started Asking, when I lied to the guys that we were signed just so I can drag them to the States, I had to share a room with Sam and maaan, was he pissed that I lied to them!" Ben chuckled. "I was so scared to sleep in the same room with him because he wasn't talking to me, but I'd just catch him stare at me like..." I laughed at Ben's attempt to imitate Sam's creepy face. "I ended up locking myself in the bathroom and sleeping there for the next month until Cameron decided to show me some mercy and switched with Sam." 

"That must've been so much fun... to watch." I grinned at Ben and he rolled his eyes.

"I was 18 back then." Ben frowned. "Time flies. Things change... A lot of things."

"Some of them for the better, right?" I asked rhetorically trying to cheer up the mood as I spotted a hint of sadness in his eyes.

"Says you from a hospital bed."

"Um, excuse me, I now have a gun shot wound. You're never gonna hear the end of my bragging!"

"Being close to death is not really a trophy." Ben told me. 

"I've been close to death more time than you know." I said. "It's not really that new."

"Well, I'm making sure this is the last time." 

"And he we go again with the body guard thing..." I rolled my eyes.

"After Dusty goes to prison, you won't need one." 

"If he goes." I sighed.

"What do you mean if... There's literally no if." 

I sighed again. "The thing is that we'll have to go to court and I'm not really sure if I want that. Like, I'll have to tell everyone... Pretty much everything I told you, and with my anxiety being back, I don't think I'll be able to do that."

"Going to court is usually an option when things aren't really clear. That is not our case." Ben got my hand and I squeezed his palm. "The cops practically have his confession." 

"I really hope so..."

"And if it really comes to that, we can find a way of going around it. We can tape you saying everything when you're alone and just play it in court. You don't even have to be there." Ben told me comforting me, but still being real. "But honestly, I think it's not gonna come to that. The Night People, Ashley... Danny. It all adds up."