04 | you are so dead once more

04

ARRIVING AT MY HOUSE in just fifteen minutes, I quickly parked my car and jogged up the steps

ARRIVING AT MY HOUSE in just fifteen minutes, I quickly parked my car and jogged up the steps. Shit, the lights were on. Pressing the keys into the doorknob, I was greeted by my dad.

He stood there next to the home phone, his eyes already diverted to mine as soon as the sound of the doorknob being rattled. There was worry in his dark orbs, but he let out a sigh of relief as soon as he registered in my presence. God, I feel so bad for leaving without giving him a notice. I guess the flow of excitement about calling the police to Kade's house rather disturbed me at that point that I couldn't tell him.

My dad jogged his way towards me, assessing myself just in case I got physically hurt. I nearly lost my life thirty minutes ago and I don't want to experience that again. Well unlucky for me, I have to meet him again. I despise his threats, but the image of him frightens me since when we were in school back then.

"Milana Rose Cavallero, where have you been? I was so worried." He told, embracing me for a second. I chuckled nervously before closing the door shut, hoping he was not that mad. I don't want to be in trouble, actually.

"I just went to see my friends, Dad." I lied, accompanied by a confident smile to defeat the lies written on my face.

His eyebrows quirked up, curiously questioning me. "Friends? As in Sam?"

He truly knows I have no friends.

I just don't bother making one.

I shrug. "Yeah well, Sam's friends, she invited them over to sleepover and I told her that I don't feel like it so I just visited her for a bit."

"Why did you hung up on me?" He asked, seemingly confused. So I was right, my dad didn't hear what I said over the phone earlier which means he was not the one that called the cops. A wave of relief swept over me, and that means, I told Kade and his friends the honest truth. I'm satisfied. But then, curiosity hits me.

Who the hell called the cops?

Sam? No way, she could've been sleeping. Probably Kade's neighbors, yup. That is possible. Who in their right mind would want loud music blaring through the neighborhood during midnight?

"Oh, at that time, we were watching a movie and she wanted us to be quiet —so I had to hang up." I lied again.

To be honest, my dad is actually a good observer when it comes to me lying. He knows the facts, and he knows the lies. But at this point, I had a feeling he was probably just exhausted from work. Plus, it's currently nearly two in the morning. I can spot the tiny dark bags hanging down both of his eyes. They've been quite permanent for a while now.