Katniss part 3

The remainder of the trek through the ice and snow was a long and guilty one for the Girl on Fire, who kept to the rear of the line.

'Maybe I can just ask her for the cordial. Or what if I can just find something else to replace it.'

After that thought, Katniss kept an eye out for any special looking Narnian items. Several times one of the children had to turn back to make sure Katniss was still keeping up.

"Come on, we don't want to be caught out here after night fall." The Beaver urged.

When Susan looked back she noticed Katniss had a handful of odd and ends. Susan frowned and went back to walk with her.

"Katniss? What are you doing?"

Katniss glanced at Susan, then at her collection and said. "Souvenirs."

Susan allowed a small laugh but then became serious.

"I don't believe that is quite legal. And for goodness sake stay with us!"

Katniss ignored the remarks and asked,

"What is going on anyway?"

Susan gave a frustrated look. "Apperently we humans are not supposed to be here."

"Why not?"

Before Susan could answer, Peter called back from the front.

"Susan, Katniss, do hurry up!"

Susan took off jogging but the Victor still legged behind. Looking down at her armful of rocks, pinecones, and twigs she sighed.

"Who am I kidding? No one would want this junk."

With that she tossed the miscellaneous Narnian nature on the snowy road and hurried to catch up. They found themselves standing before a beaver's home. From the door came a voice.

"Beaver, is that you? I've been worried sick! If I find you've been out with Badger again-"

Katniss watched in amusement as the beaver gasped in seeing the strange company.

"Look at my fur! You couldn't have given me a ten minute warning?" The female beaver went on.

Katniss inwardly shrugged. 'The fur looks fine to me. It could easily be traded for day old cheese at the Seam.'

Katniss forced herself to stay focused. After all, she had a quest to complete. The children were filing inside the little home. Edmund was looking behind at some mountain peaks.

Once inside, Katniss took a seat beside Lucy at the little table. Food and drink were passed around.

"Is there anything we could do for Mr. Tumnus?" Peter was asking.

Katniss took a quick drink out of a mug and ended up having a coughing fit.

Lucy looked over and patted Katniss on the back a few times. Finally the fit decided to end. By now her throat was feeling raw.

Mrs Beaver chipped in, "Fish N Chips?"

Katniss shook her head. She had to much to think about to eat. Here she was, away from her own home where people love to watch betrayal, and now she had to betray an innocent little English girl. Worst of all, Lucy reminded her of both Prim and Rue.

Katniss caught the tail end of a conversation.

"- lots of hope."

Hope. It was what the Mockingjay stands for. It is the only thing stronger than fear.