5: Between the Trees

You finished your breakfast and headed out the mess hall. You saw Marco and Jean waiting outside the hall.

"I suppose my mom asked you to get me." You said.

"Yep. She told us to come get you and meet her near the forest." Marco said.

Jean avoided talking. The three of you started to walk towards the forest. There was insane tension between you and Jean.

Marco broke the silence, pissed.

"Can't you two at least try getting along?" Marco said.

"Honestly, I'm not sure." You said, sarcastically. "Can we, horseface? Or are you incapable of being anything but an asshole?"

"I can be nice, but I don't think I can with you." Jean crossed his arms.

"Guys, enough!" Marco sighed, defeated. "Christina clearly knew that we were faking being friends, but she obviously saw something between us. So just try getting along. Please?"

"Fine." Jean scoffed.

"Whatever." You rolled your eyes.

You met your mom outside the forest. She had her ODM gear on, and she had three other new ones with her.

"You are doing training before the rest of cadets." Christina said. "I got you out of Keith's torture." She handed the three of you new ODM gear, and you put it on.

"Now, follow me." Christina led you into the core of the forest. She had set up wooden titan statues.

"Aren't we doing this today anyway?" Jean asked.

"Why are we here earlier than the rest?" You asked.

"Extra practice. I have a feeling you'll need it." Your mom simply explained. "And since I'm making you have extra practice, I've decided to give you three a day off tomorrow."

"Yes!" you mumbled, feeling victorious.

"Now, start attacking those Titans!" Christina held up her sword.

"Ma'am, yes ma'am!" You three shouted.

After a while of practicing on the dummies, the other cadets came to join. You were just swinging past a dummy when you noticed Jean tangled up in his ODM gear. He hung upside down from a branch.

"Cadet Kirstein! Get a move on!" Keith shouted.

Jean just cursed under his breath. You swooped by and landed on the branch.

"Need help, Horseface?" You smirked and looked down at him. For once.

"No, I'm completely fine and I couldn't be better." Jean rolled his eyes.

You cut the strings and he started to fall. Before he could hit the ground you scooped him up and held him by his waist. Jean turned red from embarrassment.

"Looks like you're going to tell my mom you need new gear, Kirstein." You told him.

"Whatever." Jean scoffed.

The next day, you walked into the mess hall. It was one PM, when the cadets would normally have lunch.

But you? You were having breakfast.

You quickly ate and walked back to your cabin.

A peaceful day, all to myself. You thought.

You thought.

"Hey, [Y/N]!" Marco came running towards you. "Come and check out what Jean and I found!" Marco had a huge smile plastered on his face.

You decided to go and take a look. After all, you didn't have anything better to do.

After ten minutes of chasing Marco, the forest opened up and revealed a crystal clear pond. You saw Jean sitting on a rock. You sat down next to him.

"Nice, isn't it?" Jean said. You nodded and stood up.

He and Marco watched you jump from rock to rock effortlessly. They followed you. You continued jumping onto the rocks. You then stopped near the deep waters.

Marco caught up to you, but Jean tripped and fell into the water. You and Marco laughed.

"This water is actually quite nice." Jean acted as if nothing happened.

You started to get hot and took off your bulky sweater. You dropped the sweater on the rock next to yours. Now, you weren't wearing a bra under your t-shirt, and caught Marco staring.

You smirked and pushed the distracted Marco into the water.

"Whoa!" Marco fell into the water and earned a laugh from Jean.

Jean and Marco looked at each other and smirked.

"Help us out." The boys said in unison, both holding out a hand each.

You held out your hands. The boys grabbed your hands and pulled you into the water. You lifted your head above the water.

"That's it, you're both on my shitlist!" You laughed, mocking Keith.

You splashed the two boys playfully. Your clothes were drenched and your hair was no better. The three of you forgot about everything, and just lived in the moment. Regardless of your rivalry.