25: Maria

The area within wall Maria represents one third of the land that humanity has left. When the territory was lost five years ago, the loss of human life and property was massive and those losses were only the beginning. That fact was realized by all inside the remaining two walls. It seemed wrong for us to continue living.

Whether humanity would survive until tomorrow was out of its own hands. Everything was now up to the titans to decide...because humanity had no way of defeating them.

But one girl had a small blade in her heart.

It was used to stab a titan to death, allowing humanity to stomp its head to the ground. What could've people thought when they saw that sight?

Some screamed pride. Some screamed hope. Some screamed rage. Some screamed love...

...but they all screamed alike.

So if wall Maria is take back, what will humanity scream then? Will they believe once again that its alright for them to be living in this world? Will it be possible to make them believe that they can control their own destinies?

If only wall Maria could be retaken.

"Whoa!" You squealed, slipping.

"Hey! Keep your feet lit!" Levi shouted at you.

"Uh, sorry." You got back up.

"Are we still not at the foot of this thing? It's almost dawn." Levi said.

"We'll be close to Shiganshina if we can just get over this mountain." Erwin said.

"I feel bad, you're even handling my horse." Eren said.

"You shouldn't be wasting your energy here." Mikasa replied.

"I guess," Eren sighed. "and would you two just shut up?"

"Jean, lemme hold my horse!" You shouted.

"No!" Jean shouted.

"Please!"

"No! You gotta keep your energy!"

"Shut up!" Connie shouted. "[Y/N], Jean's right."

"Ugh." You scoffed.

"Again, always assume there's an enemy right around every corner." Jean got you back on track.

Suddenly, he caught sight of something turned his head.

"Titan to the left!" He exclaimed.

"Everyone halt! Illuminate the area!" Hange ordered.

She took a close look at the titan.

"It's okay, he's dozing away." She reassured. "Phew."

"How could we have not noticed it until we were that close?" You muttered.

"I recognize this area," Mikasa muttered. "I came here to gather firewood."

"We've found the foot of the mountain! I can see the old trail!" A scout shouted.

"We're almost there." Eren said.

"I can hear the sound of the river!" Mikasa chirped.

"We're... back." Armin stuttered.

"I feel nauseous..." You muttered.

"[Y/N], pull it together." Jean said.

Everyone hopped onto their horses and began to go down the trail between the old, shattered houses.

"The sun is starting to rise! Be careful of hiding titans!" Erwin shouted. "Begin the operation! Everyone switch to vertical movement!"

Everyone got off their horses and grappled themselves on top of the wall. Once you got to the top, you looked down at your hometown. Your hands became clammy and shook. Were you seriously back?

"Why isn't there a single titan in the area?" Hange observed.

"That means we're right inside the enemy's pocket. But, we have to do it." Said Levi.

"The operation is continuing as planned." Hange announced, firing a signal flare.

Eren swung to the walls breach and bit his hand. He turned into a titan, and hardened himself inside the hole, sealing the wall. Mikasa went down to get him up to the top of the wall.

"We did it?" Hange gasped.

"What about your vertical maneuver equipment?" Mikasa asked Eren.

"Its fine, but it did take my cloak." Eren said. Mikasa gave Eren her cloak.

"What are they doing?" Connie asked.

"Halt the operation?" You gasped.

"Yeah. Was that the point of the quick charge?" Sasha asked.

"But..." Jean murmured.

"Armin, did you realize something again?" Eren whispered.

After a while of searching the walls for enemies, Armin found a hollow spot. He broke off the wall and looked at what stood inside it with fear.

Reiner.

He crashed out the wall cavity and looked up. Levi came at him full speed, jabbing one of his blades through his neck and another at the centre of his chest. But, Levi still wasn't able to end Reiner's life.

Reiner crashed onto the ground and a flash of lightning struck him. He arose into his titan form.

"Look around us!" Erwin exclaimed. "Capture any other enemies and—"

Erwin stopped. He heard rumbling from behind him. He looked over his shoulder. A large group of titans were coming your way. Along with the Beast.

Everyone looked at the group with fear.

The Beast titan picked up a boulder and flung it towards the exit, closing it. The Survey Corps was now trapped within Shiganshina.

"Erwin, the armoured titan is coming for us." Levi said.

"Avoid conflict with the armoured titan!" Erwin shouted. "Don't go near him!"

"Understood!"

"Hange, did the orders to attack not come yet?" Eren asked. "What is the commander doing?"

"He's watching the enemy's moves. It seems Reiner's group is going to give us a very elaborate welcome." Hange explained.

On Erwin's side of the wall, the attack commenced, and the armoured titan had climbed the wall.

You quickly transformed to into your titan form, and began to run to the southern part of the wall. Reiner followed.

The plan was to use you as bait, make you fight Reiner so the rest of the survey corps would be able to attack the beast titans' team, without having Reiner behind their backs. Your titan was specialized in fighting and didn't have much liberty in terms of movement, but it was enough to get the job done.

Fighting, fighting, fighting. Only hoping for a well earned victory.