36: The Trip Back

"First battle, hm?" Jean sighed.

"I hope there isn't many left. So many lives have been sacrificed." You mentioned.

Jean wrapped his arm around your shoulder and pulled you close. "That was scary."

Connie wrapped his arms around you, Jean and Sasha and pulled you close. "At least the four of us are alive. I do care about everyone, but you guys are special to me."

There was a moment of silence and embrace.

"That hurts, you idiot." Jean spat. "Don't go hugging people while you're wearing all that metal."

"What was that, Jean?" Connie let him go.

You and Sasha exchanged looks and giggled.

Connie continued. "An idiot is the kind of guy that styles his stubble of a beard. You know, like you! Idiot."

A tick mark appeared on Jean's forehead. "What did you say?"

"Hey, hey. I think your beard suits you." You tried calming him down.

"Connie's quite right. What's the point of growing a beard if you can't eat it." Sasha joined in.

You rolled your eyes and chuckled at the conversation.

"What?" Jean chirped.

"At any rate, is dinner ready?" Sasha asked.

"Hold out until we get back to the island, Sasha." Jean said.

"What a useless officer you are, Jean." Sasha sighed.

"Where's Hange? Is she at the front?" You looked around. "Does she have the kids?"

The ship rattled after the sound of a thud.

"Hey!" Jean shushed everyone. "Be quiet."

"Did anyone else hear that?" Sasha asked.

"Is Lobov not back yet?" Connie searched.

You turned around. "He should have been ba—"

You quietly tapped Jean. He turned around and his eyes widened. Everyone turned around to see what was going on.

There was a child of Marley on the zeppelin.

She quickly pointed a rifle at the group and shot at the center. The bullet went right through Sasha, near her heart. Sasha fell to the ground. You looked at her, mortified.

Jean swiftly pulled out a revolver and aimed it at the little girl. Another boy crawled onto the aircraft and ran to the girl.

"Jean, they're kids! Don't shoot them!" You shouted.

Jean didn't listen and shot at them, cornering them. Other cadets surrounded the kids and left you, Connie and Jean to care for Sasha.

You knelt down next to Sasha, took her face in your hands. "Hey, hey! Sasha, stay with us!"

Her breathing slowed, and grew loud and raspy.

"We have to stop the bleeding! Jean, grab cloths or a tourniquet or something!" You shouted.

Connie ran to get whatever clothing he could find and brought them back. You took the clothes and wrapped them around Sasha's wound. You pressed on the gunshot, trying to stop the blood.

"You guys are so loud." Sasha barely muttered. "Is dinner ready yet?"

You and Connie looked at her mortified.

"Sasha! Just hold on until we get back to the island, okay?" Connie cried.

"...meat." She mumbled.

Jean stood up and walked to the rogue children.

"Jean, don't kill them." You told him.

The kids shouted at him, and he grabbed both of the by their ears and brought them to the front, where Zeke and Levi were.

Meanwhile, you tried to keep Sasha alive.

"Do we not have any medical kits on this thing?" You shouted, distressed.

You looked down at Sasha's face. She was beginning to fade away and lose consciousness. You grabbed her face and tapped it lightly.

"C'mon, Sasha. Stay strong, girl." You sighed.

Armin and Mikasa came out of the room and ran to Sasha's side.

"What happened?" Armin said, appalled.

"Some kid shot her in her chest with a rifle." Connie mumbled.

Sasha coughed up blood, and her loud breathing came to a stop. You looked at her, horrified. The life in her eyes was gone. Her face began to turn pale. You looked around for Connie and saw his back facing the two of you. It seemed he couldn't stand to watch her.

You slowly let go of Sasha's face and fell back. Your hands turned to fists. A void began filling your body. "Those fucking kids."

Connie got up and walked to the room to tell the rest about Sasha's death. Mikasa and Armin kept trying to get Sasha to wake up, but it was no use. You wiped your tears, sniffled, and stood up.

You walked toward the room and barged through the door. You walked right through everyone and stopped right in front of Eren. He was looking at the ground, so you squatted to his level and flicked his chin up with your finger.

"If you weren't tied up, I'd totally beat the shit out of you right now." You said through your teeth. "You always have to get into these crazy impossible situations, and look where it gets us!"

You took his face in your palm and pushed it away from you. You stood up and spat in his face. "As if both Attacking and Founding weren't enough for you." You rolled up your sleeve and punched him in the stomach. "A message from the War Hammer."

Jean grabbed your arm and pulled you out of the room. He glared at Eren on the way out.

Once you exited, Jean grabbed you by the shoulders and looked you in the eye. "Onyankopon has Lia and Luca in the front with him. I want to see them, and I know you do too. I need you to calm down."

"Fair. I'm calm." You took a deep breath. "They are such lucky kids to be this free."

"Yea. Thank god nothing happened to this ship."

"Right." You grew impatient. "Can I see my children now?"

Jean nodded and opened the door to the room again. He walked you in front of him and took you across the room, to another door. He led you through it and into the control room.

Not the most ideal place for two toddlers.

"Onyankopon! What does this button do?" Luca asked.

"What about this one?" Lia pointed to another one.

"Oh, look! Mom and dad are here!" Onyankopon said, relieved.

"Thank you." You smiled at him.

Lia wrapped her little arms around your legs. She had her thin, brown hair braided. Her eyes were a piercing blue. You lifted her and rested her on your arm. "Wow, I love your braids! Who did them?"

"Hange did!" She chirped.

"Dad! Did you see those titans fighting? That was so cool! Did you see their teeth and stuff?" Luca eagerly asked Jean.

Jean smiled and ruffled Luca's hair. "What if I told you I fought one of them?"

"What? Really?" Luca's eyes sparkled. "I wanna be a scout one day! So cool!"

You smiled at your boys. You walked up to the windshield and looked out at the ocean. The sun was coming up. You thought about how grateful you were for your family. You turned around and saw Jean wrestling your son.

You hated that everything had to be solved with violence. And you couldn't help but think that you had less than a year left to spend with your family.

Yes, I plagiarized a bit. I absolutely love the dialogue between Connie, Sasha and Jean. The three of them made such a cute group. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this, and get ready for more romance!