16: Damn it to Hell

It was extremely dark and you were still searching the wall for breaches. The air was stiff and there was lots of negative energy. In addition, the tension between you, Bertolt, and Jean was so stiff that you couldn't even breath through it. You rode your horse with your head down the whole time, not even bothering to participate in the wall search.

"It's pitch black." Nanaba mumbled.

"There could be titans anywhere! They could be right in front of us!" One of the cadets whimpered, tormented by the thought.

The moon started to shine on an old castle ruin nearby.

"We could stay the night there." Connie suggested.

The troop rode their horses to the castle. Luckily, there was a stable where the horses could rest.

Once the horses were sorted out, you headed inside the building. You were a tad skeptical of the castle, but worst comes to worst, you still had Nanaba with her gear.

You lit a fire in your room. You shared it with Krista, Connie, Sasha, Reiner, Bertolt, Ymir and Jean. Everyone felt the tension in the air. Word got around quickly about your inconvenient love triangle. Finally, Ymir broke the ice with a snarky comment.

"Can't you guys just kiss and make up like you normally do?"

"Do you think this is just a regular argument?" Jean blurted. "She fucking made out with another dude!"

"It wasn't even her fault, I was the one who went in to kiss her! I did it fast so she purposely couldn't have time to reject me!" Bertolt shouted, defending you.

"But you knew we were together! You bastard, I thought we were friends!"

"It's not a big deal, Jean! It was a mistake!" Bertolt elongated the last word.

"Jean, you know I love you! This isn't fair!" You pleaded.

"Your words don't mean shit to me. If you truly cared the way you say you do you wouldn't have done this to begin with." Jean scoffed.

"Holy fuck, man! She recognizes her mistake, just give her a second chance!" Connie joined in, trying to talk sense into Jean.

"You know, you were the one that said you didn't want to deal with me, right? So you're off the hook!" Jean said, giving you a side eye. "Now you don't have to!"

"With this attitude you're putting up, no wonder she cheated!" Bertolt spat. "No one wants to deal with you!"

"Shh! Enough said, Bertolt!" Reiner shushed.

"So, you're saying because you told me to go to hell, I should actually try?" You argued. "This is my understanding of your screwed up logic."

"Shit, I'll go too!" He shouted, pulling out a pocket knife. "Let's try together, shall we?"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Connie said, putting down the knife. He, Ymir and Sasha tried to calm the argument down.

"Let's not go that far, please!" Krista added.

Jean forcefully flung his arm out of Connie's grasp. "I gotta get outta here. I can't stay." He muttered, getting up and walking out. "I can't be framed as the bad guy by the bitch."

"Oh, c'mon!" Connie said.

"Really, Jean?" You sighed, feeling defeated.

"He couldn't even have a proper conversation without getting enraged." Ymir shook her head in disbelief.

"He's definitely hot-headed, I'll give you that." You stated.

After the group cooled off from the heated argument, you decided to head to the bathroom. You walked through the dark and creepy hallways, cautious of the outside threat. Approaching the bathroom, you noticed the lights were on.