12: Another Failure

The plan? Lure the female titan inside the forest and into a trap.

Your job? Make sure no titans come inside the forest by using the one-hundred fourth trainees as bait.

You were not amused, considering you could be inside the forest, fighting a massive, record breaking titan.

It was not your cup of tea. You enjoyed action. But, your headache wasn't giving up either. You figured this was in your best interest.

"I wanna go home." Connie whimpered.

"Don't we all?" Sasha said, pinning herself against the trunk of the tree.

The said cadet's eyes were filled with fear and hopelessness.

You, on the other hand, had Jean and Mikasa on your branch as well.

You looked below you; the angered and vicious titans swarmed the large oaks, waiting for their breakfast to come down. Just losing your balance and falling would be like heading into deaths hands themselves. The roots and base of the tree trunk were bloodied. The corpses didn't make the scene any better, only more devastating. And not only was it unpleasant to see, but it reeked of blood and organs. You couldn't bare it. The thought of more than sixty lives lost in less than four hours made you cringe.

All the overthinking and stress started to make you feel lightheaded and uneasy. Your vision started to blur.

"Jean, I don't feel to good." You said, your voice slowly fading.

Jean quickly turned his attention towards you and saw you struggling to keep yourself standing, starting to lose your balance. Jean dropped his blades and sprinted towards you at full speed. Mikasa also tried getting to you.

"[Y/N]!" Jean yelled.

But it was too late.

You had already gone unconscious and fell.

Without thinking, Jean leapt towards you, without grappling the maneuvering gear to the tree.

He thought that your life was more important than his.

He took your unconscious body in his arms as he fell to his doom. Titans swarmed around the two of you.

And certainly, Jean went unconscious, due to the blow from the fall, and the pain he was enduring from the titans gripping onto his skin.

But, the Titans quickly turned their attention to inside the forest, and completely forgot about the two half dead bodies on the ground after they heard a deafening shriek.

You woke up back at the HQ, and didn't remember anything that happened the following day.

You sat up in the bed and rubbed your temple. You looked at your palms, then ran your hands through your hair.

You thought you had died.

"Jean saved you." You heard someone faintly.

It was Mikasa.

She brought you some water. "Drink. You'll become dehydrated. You haven't had anything to eat for two days."

Mikasa handed you a glass cup filled with crystal water.

"Thanks." You said. You drank the water and put the empty glass on your nightstand.

"I should really thank you from getting him off my back." Mikasa sighed.

"I can't comprehend." You said, confused.

"Before you became his friend, he was all over me. It was all Mikasa this and Mikasa that." She said.

You giggled. That was something that you thought you'd never hear from Mikasa.

"Speaking of which, where is Jean?" You asked, getting out of bed.

"He is in the infirmary. He's lucky he survived. He's suffering major injuries." Mikasa said.

"What?" You muttered.

Mikasa left the room and you quickly got changed into your normal jeans and hoodie.

You walked out into the corridor, and tried finding the infirmary.

Which, conveniently, wasn't too far from your room.

You slowly opened the door and entered the room, closing the door behind you.

The window was open and the sun shone into the room. The light breeze caused the curtains to fly around. The slow and steady beeps from the heart monitor made you a little agitated, but it wasn't intolerable.

Jean hadn't woken up yet. He broke his left leg and right wrist, but he breathed normally and his heart rate wasn't too fast nor slow.

The door creaked open. Hange and Christina walked in.

"He still hasn't woken up?" Hange asked.

"No." You sighed.

Your mom put her arm around your shoulder and pulled you in a little closer.

"He'll wake up. Don't worry." She kissed the top of your head. "But you shouldn't have gone on the expedition if you weren't feeling well."

"That fool." You muttered. "Why'd he have to be so careless. Why did he jump to save me?"

"No one's to blame here." Hange spoke up. "If anything, it was the damned titans."

"Maybe he'll wake up soon. I'll make him lunch. Hopefully he'll eat it." You slipped away from your mother's grasp and headed out the door.

You got into the kitchen and opened the fridge. The first thing you saw?

Eggs. Eggs turn into Omelettes. Jean loves Omelettes.

Perfect.

You took a steel pan and spread a chunk of butter around it to grease the pan. While the pan heated up, you prepared the egg mixture and poured it into the sizzling pan. Flipping it from side to side, it soon turned into a nice golden brown. You slid it into a plate, and took out a fork as well. You buttered some bread and placed it next to the omelet. Food supplies where down recently, so, unfortunately, you couldn't make Jean much.

You walked into the infirmary. Jean still looked half-dead.

"He'll wake up." You whispered. "Hopefully."

You placed the plate of food onto Jean's nightstand, and looked at his peaceful, sleepy face.

You couldn't resist it. You laid down next to Jean, and intertwined your fingers with his lifeless ones. You soon fell asleep next to your careless and foolish boyfriend.

"Jean. You fucking fool."